Manual or Auto channel setting?

I have a Netgear WNR854T using with a MAC on 'n' with a steady 144mb connection.

Currently it is setup to auto select a channel. I've notice three other Wlans that I can detect (secured ones).

Is there any benefit of manually selecting a channel, or best to leave it on automatic. I also have a Digisender for my SKY box, but if I turn this on it kills my wlan.

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:45:12 GMT, Clive wrote in :

I've found it best to put it on manual, and carefully test 1, 6, and 11 for the best results -- auto is all too often wrong.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm not sure if that particular router changes the channels often or just once, but I would heartily recommend manually selecting the best channel in your area. After experimenting, I found that it is best to use channel 1, 6 or 11, whichever is less occupied. If all 3 are taken, the next best choice is the one with the weakest neighboring signal. The vast majority of my neighbors use channel 9 which interferes with both channel 6 & 11, so I chose channel 1.

Bill Radio Click for Wireless Reviews at:

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Radio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.