Making laptop wireless through ethernet port

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My pcmcia port doesn't work anymore in my laptop and I need the wireless connection at my home network and in hotels when I travel. The laptop does not have USB2, so the USB adaptors will be too slow.

I have heard that it's possible to set up with a wireless switch connected to the laptop's ethernet port, and that will probably be fine as long as I have the computer at home, but what when I am out and need the wireless connection on a hotel? Will it be difficult to set up and will it even be possible without having any kind of access to the router?

I know the best thing to do is buying a new laptop, but I'm trying to save some serious $$$.

Regards Mike

Reply to
Mike Mike
Loading thread data ...

Err... Instead of complicating things, why not get yourself an USB=20 wireless adapter ?

Aphrael...

--=20 "La demande mondiale d'ordinateurs n'exc=E9dera pas cinq machines."=20 (Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

Reply to
Aphrael

As I mentioned, my laptop does not have USB2 and I've been told USB1 will be too slow.

Regards Mike

Err... Instead of complicating things, why not get yourself an USB wireless adapter ?

Aphrael...

Reply to
Mike Mike

Not as expensive as what you will get if you try for ethernet to usb,=20 and not so slow. But... well, if you still want it Ethernet, you simply=20 try for an access point with "Wireless Client" setting. It won't be very =

portable, will need a power outlet, but will work and be ethernet. Dlink =

AP usually do, but certainly Linksys and other brands will offer the same= =2E

Aphrael.

--=20 "La demande mondiale d'ordinateurs n'exc=E9dera pas cinq machines."=20 (Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

Reply to
Aphrael

To slow for what? I think USB1 is going to be as fast as a "b" wifi connection with anything but the strongest signal.

It's fine for email and general web browsing.

Reply to
Al Dykes

I'm not sure that USB1 would be too slow, but I've never had good luck with USB WiFi adapters.

The Linksys WAP54G in client mode will work well, but isn't very portable, maybe one of the compact routers will work in client mode.

Maybe you should get a WAP54G for 'home, fixed' use and a USB adapter for mobile use. Or a new laptop...

Can you use a wired connection at home?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Use a wireless 'gaming' adapter. These will bridge your ethernet connection to WiFi. They're designed to connect a device that has only wired ethernet. One of them would work in your situation. You'd have an external box and it's power supply to lug along but that's it.

But if you've got a laptop that's only got USB1.1 and it's PCMCIA slot has crapped out you might want to just bite the bullet and pickup a new laptop (or a used one of more recent vintage). And, let me guess, you're running win98 on it, right? Double the reason to upgrade to something new!

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider doing it another way.. They make (and sell, have one for my DVR) Ethernet to USB converters.. You won't be able to use a USB "dongle", but there are several USB wireless adapters (boxes with their own firmware, and a USB cord/plug to plug into almost any USB connector.. Be sure to look for Ethernet TO USB converters.. Many on the net are the other way around..

Current prices are cheaper I'm sure, but this was about what I paid for them a few years ago.. USB/Ethernet connecter (Ethernet Plug on one end, USB receptacle on the other, black box in the middle, pretty common since most DVR's are USB only and most routers are ethernet), at the time $39 USB Network connection (seperate box like this Linksys at best buy

formatting link
Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter with SpeedBooster $59.99

For a bit more (and fraid I don't have a link handy), they actually make USB

2.0 hubs, that plug into an ethernet port.... Bit bigger, allow 4 USB connections, plugs into the ethernet port, and has it's own power supply to provide power over USB.
Reply to
Peter Pan

USB 1.1 is almost exactly equal to the speed of 802.11b, which is usually three times the speed of the typical link you are going to get in a hotel. A USB dongle would be a good cheap solution.

formatting link
use a DLink DWL-122 USB1.1, 802.11b dongle often. I set up new PCs using this on clients that aren't going to have a permanent LAN connection. Some friends rely on them for their home internet access. It works well with win2000 or WinXP. I think USB in general doesn't work so well with Win98. You didn't say what you have. (You also didn't say why your PCMCIA stopped working, but that's a separate story.)

A common "gaming adapter" is what you are looking for, for this purpose. Somewhere around $80, typically.

formatting link
The adapters noted as being clients for PCs are a little more expensive, probably no better.
formatting link
That might be faster than your USB 1.1 in some situations, like laptop-PC connections at home, but probably not for access to the internet.

The laptop should see it as a wired connection, so there are no driver issues to contend with, if you already have a working LAN port on the laptop.

Reply to
dold

I doubt it, unless you have 10Meg at home and frequent very expensive hotels.

USB1.1 is rated at 12Mbps.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You're right, don't use USB 1.1, it'll be slow.

Buy the D-Link DWL-G730AP, and use it in client mode. The reason I like this unit is that it can be powered from a USB port _or_ from an AC outlet, eliminating one more thing to carry (though the AC adapter is pretty small, and fits into the fitted case that comes with it).

I bought one from Amazon, and it was $48, and there is a $10 rebate, but I see that Amazon no longer carries it in their own store.

Even with USB 2.0, it's more of a hassle to use a USB wireless adapter.

Reply to
SMS

D-Link DWL-G730AP is the one for you.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Thank you for all the replies. I went for the USB adaptor and it works great. I honestly can't see any difference from the pcmcia I had before.

Regards Mike

Reply to
Mike Mike

Actually the laptop is from 2003 and it's a Pentium 2.4Ghz. Maybe that was around the time where they came out with USB2????

Anyway, I got it up running on a USB adaptor and it works really well.

Regards Mike

Reply to
Mike Mike

Never thought about the other neat thing... Some of the older laptops with built in wireless ONLY do a very limited security key (my older toshiba will ONLY do 64 bit wep).. Now with the USB dongle/software I can use longer wep keys (and psk-2 etc).... Probably won't matter to you specifically, but if there are any lurkers here that have an older laptop, they may want to consider the USB way also...

Mike Mike wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Most Toshiba's have their networking on an internal mini-PCI card. Those cards can be replaced. I know, I replaced the 802.11b one in mine with a b/g capable card. I may replace it yet again with one of the more powerful cards.

Using external USB is tedious. It requires having something else hanging off the laptop. More to break, more to get lost. Those USB ports aren't exactly bulletproof. Too many insert/remove cycles, especially if rushed or just careless, can break the ports. Then you're stuck with a several hundred-dollar replacement of the motherboard. Best to just replace the mini-PCI card and keep it all neatly inside the case.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.