Make my Toshiba connect to my WLANs AP

I have a Toshiba A45-S151. It has a built-in wireless adaptor. The problem is I don't see what connection utility I'm suppose to use to connect to my WLAN. I tried the ConfigFree tool but it doesn't find my Linksys AP. All that happens is that a connection is made to oe of my neighbors WLANs which has open access. How can I get the PC to connect to my secure WLAN without using the MS WZC services.

Reply to
d28
Loading thread data ...

No. I need to use the "pre-installed" connection utility (if there is one) but I don't know what it is. I've use the MS WZC to connect but I believe there is a utility delivered with the PC but nothing in the documentation readily points out just what it is.

Reply to
d28

On the toshiba, configfree should let you both see what is there, AND set it up to connect (both/and to wired and wireless).

You do have to be able to see the AP, so if you have the SSID transmit thing turned off out of some misguided reason, you can't see it and connect.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Which model name do you have? The A45 isn't a current model number

Reply to
Peter Pan

you will need something like netstumbler. Try It......

formatting link

Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru

if you had a utility it would most likely be on your start menu. If all else fails, contact the manufacturer and ask...

Reply to
DLink Guru

I'm not familiar with that particular model. However, similar Toshiblah laptops had a tiny, well hidden, marginally documented, unlabeled, slide switch on the front-left edge of the laptop, which turned on/off the wireless card. See if you don't have a similar switch.

If not, assuming you have Windoze XP SP2, there should be a Wireless Connection tool of some sorts in the Control Panel.

If you find the tool, it's current set to take any connection. Set the preferred SSID connection to your access points SSID, not the neighbors.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

A45 is the model I have. I don't think I said it was a current model. But it is supported by Toshiba. Its about 10 months old.

Reply to
d28

Yes. The utility use is confusing to say the least. The documentation is not very helpful. For example, the utility doesn't connect to my WPA secured AP. Toshiba provides this WLAN search application (more like a toy, not useful) that displays the available WLANs but if I click on a AP the only thing that happens is that the AP's information is displayed. No way to configure the PC's WAN card to connect. I see no options to enter a WEP/WPA key. Its as if the ConfigFree tool only works with open networks. The Profile tabs makes no sense at all. Again the documentation doesn't go into any details as to how to build a profile. I guess the next step is to call Toshiba support.

Reply to
d28

looking at the manual on the we site, onfigFree is the utuility they supply... no other

Reply to
larsso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.