Magic box :>

I wonder if anyone can help ? I'm looking for a "magic box" which will allow me to connect to a wireless network while pretending to my laptop that it is seeing a pure Ethernet LAN. Here's why:

I've recently become an employee again, and the company has given me a laptop which connects to the corporate VPN over my home broadband connection. However, for security reasons, it has had its wireless card disabled so I have to I plug it direct into my router using an Ethernet drop cable.

Now, this is not very convenient as the router is in my front room but my home office is in an outbuilding about 10m from the house...

So, the "magic box" would be an 802.11g device I could site in the home office (the signal strength is acceptable in there) with an Ethernet port I could plug the laptop into. As far as the laptop was concerned, it would be plugged into the router direct.

Does such a magic box exist ? Can anyone recommend one ?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Reply to
fisherofsouls
Loading thread data ...

You could buy something like an Apple AirPort Base Station which lets you extend a wireless network and then gives you an aditional ethernet port at the base station.

Therefore: HomeOffice--->ethernet--->Base station--->wireless--->router

however u would need a mac computer to do the initial configuration.

Try other products such as Belkin wireless range extender which may even give you 4 ports at the home office

Darren

Reply to
Darren

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

It's not magic. It's called a "wireless bridge", "wireless ethernet client adapter", or "game/media adapter". Also "workgroup bridge". They all do the same thing. They bridge between an ethernet connection and a wireless connection.

Typical examples are: Linksys WAP54G, WAP54GP, WET54G, and the various game and media adapters at: |

formatting link
There is one potential problem. Some of these will bridge only one MAC address while others will do more than one. If you're planning on putting more than one computah behind this device (with an ethernet switch), then check how many clients they can handle.

Very common problem. Check if the ethernet interface is setup to get its IP address from a DHCP server, or if it has a static IP address. The static IP address can be utilized, but will require renumbering your home networks IP addresses to match that of your workplace.

Yep. Any of the aformentioned will work. I'm a bit hesitant about the various game and media adapters simply because I haven't used or played with them.

Any sufficiently advanced technology, once placed in the hands of marketing, is indistinguishable from magic.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

I prefer the term "magic box" !

Reply to
Doz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.