Mac, vonage & Time Warner Help!!! now w/ added info!!!!

Reposting with better and more clear information.

I have a G4 laptop running System 10.3.9. I have an Airport Extreme with firmware 405.1. My cable modem is an RCA DCM425 (heres a link with a picture of it:

formatting link
and my vonage box is linksys VOIP it is a broadband router with two phone ports (but i have one phone line running into it.) Here's a picture of that
formatting link
Any advice on how to get my wireless to work. My cable modem is thru Time Warner it is hooked directly to my Vonage broadband router. I run my internet thru my Vonage broadband router as well. Whenever I try to plug my cable connection to my Airport Extreme that's where the trouble starts.

My computer sees my airport but whenever I try to log, I get a "page can't be found" alert. I also tried to plug in my modem directly into my cable hub and still the same thing so I don't think it's my Vonage acting up - it's my Warner box. My cable box only has one port so there is no way I can plug my internet directly into it since there won't be another port for the Vonage. I have to use my vonage box as the main hub.

Calls to the cable company offers no help so I'm hoping that I might find some answers here. Please let me know if I need to provide more information before I scrap the entire thing in a fit of disgust.

Reply to
cotell
Loading thread data ...

The AE has only one RJ45 plug, right? So you connect your computer to this one RJ45 plug in the AE with a cable when you want to configure the AE.

How is the computer configured?

The computer has to be on the same subnet as the AE when you configure it. The AE has an ip-address, say 192.168.2.1. Then your computer must be set up with a fixed ip-address, something like 192.168.2.10 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

You log on to the AE by writing the address http://192.168.2.1

(On some it's http://192.168.2.1:88) Is this like what you have when you get the "Page not Found" message?

Hold on there. You have a modem (the RCA) a router (the Linksys) and an AE (from Apple). So what you are saying is, that you have tried plugging the AE directly into the modem, right?

Your cable connections should be:

Wall to RCA modem -to- Linksys router -to= both the AE and your computer.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Did any of this work at some point in the past, or is this a new installation?

You have a cable modem, a router that is also a VoIP adapter, and an Airport WAP. Which modem are you plugging into what cable hub? What do you mean when you say you are plugging the cable connection into the Airport? You can't connect cable directly to the Airport.

Here's what I think you have. cable --- cable modem === Vonage router === Airport WAP ~~~ G4.

The proper way to install this is to turn off everything for about 10 minutes, then turn on the cable modem, wait for it to show online, turn on the router, wait for it to come online (mine rings the phone one time), turn on the Airport, let it do its powerup, turn on the G4.

I am going to presume that this worked fine with the Airport plugged directly into the cable modem, and it quit when you added Vonage.

Reply to
dold

I am not familiar with the Airport, but if it like most other routers, you need to:

1. Turn off the DHCP server in the Airport. DHCP is doubtless being handled by your Vonage router.
  2. Set your Airport to act as a router, not a gateway.
  3. Do not use the WAN port on the Airport, use one of the hub ports.

If this doesn't work, call Airport support and ask them how to use your airport as a WAP (wireless access point) rather than a router. (this may even be in the manual)

Reply to
rieker

The firmware version you listed is for the AirPort _card_ in your Mac. If you are also using an AirPort Extreme _base station_, is it the original (spaceship) model or the new (square) 802.11n model? Are you plugging an Ethernet cable into its WAN port (designated by a circle of dots)? Are you using the base station's default configuration?

Reply to
Neill Massello

Only if it's the first AirPort base station model. All others have separate LAN and WAN Ethernet ports.

The default subnet for Apple base stations is 10.0.1.1.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Let me try to answer everyone's questions. Here we go:

Correct there is only one plug. This is an airport Model number A1084. I did a search for it online and I found it here:

formatting link
When I have everything in the way I think it should be and I open up my browser I get the exact same affect as if I wasn't hooked up to the internet at all. However my airport light is green so I know that's working. And When I turn the airport on, my network shows up and it appears that I have full signal.

Actually now that you mention it. I use to have DSL with earthlink. When I had that, my wireless worked perfectly. It wasn't until I switched to cable modem that things went crazy. This was before I even set up Vonage. So it's always been my cable connection that messed things up. I did reconfigure my airport for cable modem, would that green active light on my airport along with the fact that my computer shows my Network when I turn the airport show that it was configured correctly for my new cable connection?

As I mentioned it never worked the second I opted for a cable connection. But I was waiting until my Vonage got hooked before playing around with it. I recently tried to connect from my cable modem directly to my airport just to make sure and that didn't help.

I did take my airport to the mac store and they confirm that everything is running correctly on that and it must be one of the other two items. However whenever I call one of the Customer Service departments they blame the other company and tell me they can't help me.

Thanks everyone - I hope you are up for the challenge!

Reply to
cotell

Let's establish what works. The Vonage telephone works. You can place and receive calls. That means that the cable modem is working, and the Linksys/Vonage Telephone Adapter is recognized by the cable modem.

You think your G4 is connecting to the Airport. What did you reconfigure in the Airport when switching from DSL to cable? How did you do that? Via a web page from the Airport that you could display on the G4? Can you still display that? If you can, check for an internet status page.

Can you wire the G4 directly to the Linksys? If you can, open a browser to http://192.168.15.1. There might be a LAN status page which should show both the G4 and the Airport, if they are both connected.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.