MAC filtering on conexant router

Hello !

I get a conexant ADSL-router, 4 ports + wi-fi. I don't understand how to filter based on MAC addresses.

my purpose : allow 3 Pcs (only) to connect to the router (via Wifi ou wire), according to their MAC address. Deny others PCs.

I don't understand the interface of "bridge filtering" : each line is [source MAC] [destination MAC] [type] [Block/Forward] I tried with this unique line : [MAC PC1] [MAC PC1] [no type] [forward] ... but ... every PC can connect, not only PC1 :/

grrr .. I don't understand !!! do you ?

greg

Reply to
gregory.descamps
Loading thread data ...

I don't know which model you are using but do you not have an advanced wireless set up page which allows you to enable access by MAC address? You should just be able to add the MAC address of each wireless card to the list. You shouldn't be using "Bridge Filtering"

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Conexant makes chips, not routers. Kindly disclose some details on your hardware and versions.

Without knowing the maker and model number, neither do I. There's usually some help on the manufactory web pile.

Yeah, that's usually easy. Temporarily turn *OFF* MAC filtering. Connect with the three PC's via wireless. Got to the Security or Filtering web page. Add them to the list of authorized clients from the connect screen. Turn MAC filtering back on. Done. Where literally everyone screws up is forgetting to turn off MAC address filtering before configuring. You can also do it with MAC address filtering enabled by just typing in the MAC addresses, but I seem to always get the MAC address wrong or generate a typo.

You should not be using bridge filtering. That's only for point to point wireless links. If you are offered this option, you have your unspecified device misconfigured in the wrong mode. It should "infrastructure" mode.

There's usually a filter enable/disable check box. Find it. Use it.

Of course I do. I read the instructions after I beat my head against the wall trying to do this the first time. You might wanna do the same.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oops. I didn't know Conexant also made complete routers. Looking at the links Google finds, the router seems to be a UK only product, with which I have no experience. I only found chipsets:

formatting link
their web site.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had a quick look after replying to him.

formatting link
R-ADSL-C4W-G Manual
formatting link

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I actually think it is a "Dynamode" product but they call it a "Conexant" because of the chipset.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.