Low Signal with DWA-552

i bought a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless N Desktop adapter for my comp. we have the CG814WG v2 Netgear wireless cable modem and residential gateway in our house. this DWA-552 is suppposed to be the titties of wireless adapters but i only get 1 bar of signal strength from my room. the modem is about 50-100ft away and is down the hall a couple rooms away from me. because of the low signal, it constantly disconnects and has terrible performance. when i am connected though, i can get almost 7000 down and

1500 up according to speedtest.net so the speed is fine...WHEN IT WORKS. i did buy the D-Link DGL-4500 Wireless N router also, this thing is supposedly the titties and balls of Wireless Gaming routers. i have yet to hook it up because i'm not good with wireless technology and i'm not sure how to do it without jacking up the current internet since my roommates are connected wirelessly to the Netgear gateway/modem mentioned above via their laptops (which brings up another point: my roommates have cheap wireless adapters in their laptops yet they get Excellent signal throughout the house yet mine is crap when i have the $75 adapter...). can i overwrite the Netgear somehow and use the new D-Link instead? i'm hoping it will give me better signal since it is stated to work well with the DWA-552. any other suggestions would be great...keeping in mind i CANNOT go with a wired solution because they do not want me to drill holes, etc. and i cannot move the Netgear modem from where it is. i am limited to working with what i have so any help would be great. THANKS!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
xhellionx
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:12:04 -0500, xhellionx wrote in :

Only when used with a compatible "N" (actually pre-N) wireless client! Otherwise it's just a fancy "G" device.

Your best bet is a directional antenna, which will boost signal strength and reduce interference. See the wiki below.

Set it up as a second access point, also covered in the wiki below.

Their laptops probably have better antennas, a huge difference.

What $75 adapter?

Wired solutions that don't require drilling of holes:

• Powerline networking
  • Phoneline networking
  • Coax (TV) networking
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.