low cost wireless hotspot software/hardware, non-hosted, paypal support

I'm looking to provide wireless hotspot service in my area.

I'm looking for the following:

I would like as turnkey, software/hardware solution as possible. I'm not looking for someone to host my service. I've done some research, but everything seems unecessary complex, insecure or just downright expensive. I'm not adverse to spending some money, but I'd like to spend as little cash as possible.

There are two businesses in close proximity, a late nite coffeeshop and and chain bagel place. I'd like to throw some brochures with information about the hotspot and leave some prepaid vouchers/time with the managers of the two shops.

I really don't want to have to get into the whole credit card/payment service thing as well. I have a business paypal acount that pretty well takes care of that.

I'd like to be able to point the people to the ssid of the hotspot, open up a browser, and sign up using paypal for either a hourly, daily or monthly account and let the browsing begin. So, some sort of account managment/authentication would be needed. Some sort of bandwith management would be nice to make sure someone doesn't start a music upload/download service.

Some of the things that I've looked at:

Firstspot:

Like the software, but just really hate the idea of having a windows machine doing the management. I've had problems in a test setup with the paypal interaction.I find having a windows machine around just begets all sorts of security issues. Plus they just raised the price while I was evaluating it.

Piaportal:

Liked the idea of wiologys dedicated hardware/software approach. unfortunately, pricing and paypal support were problematic and complex and expensive.

Linksys wrt54g and sveasoft firware with chilisoft

looked like a good solution, have the hardware, since I expected to use it anyways, bought the sveasoft firware. chilisoft is cool, but if I wanted to use it commercially, I'd have to spend 200+ dollars per year for commerical radius server, plus I'd be at the mercy of the service for prepaid vouchers. still waiting for the finaly alchemy release to see if something can work

instanthotspot:

don't like the idea of having to have the printer where the equipment is. plus seems like they are selling the service more than the hardware. have to use their credit card service (acutally not even in production yet as far as I could see).

public IP

Got all excited then found out it was geared more toward free service. No paypal integration support yet. still promising though

Dlink hardware, netopia hardware, etc.

Either had to go with their service or back to ticket printer had to be connected to hotspot hardware. plus no paypal.

Boingo, airpath, etc.

either fees or a percentage of profit.

So, before anyone says anything about me trying to get something for nothing , let me say that I'm trying this out to see if it might at least be self-supporting. I'm not looking to become a wi-fi king, but would at least like to pay for my expenses/bandwith. I have some extra cash coming from a tax refund and I can probably do a one time thing, so thats the direction I'm looking.....

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin
Loading thread data ...

Well, considering the access point would be located on the roof of my building, um, no. I don't understand why you would want a direct connect printer in the first place. It would make more sense to me to make it an IP addressable printer so you could have more than one, or allow the tickets to be printed on a normal printer attached to a pc.

Like I said, there are at least two businesses I'd like to concentrate on. I don't want to have hardware in the businesses. I just want to put up the access point/antenna on my roof, drop off the brochures and some free time vouchers and go from there.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Check out something like this linksys I use... WPS54GU2 Wireless-G PrintServer for USB 2.0

formatting link
Connect the PrintServer directly to your network by 10/100 Ethernet cable, or wirelessly over 54Mbps Wireless-G (802.11g). The wireless option lets you put your printers wherever you want to, without having to run cables. Whichever way the PrintServer is attached to your network, both your wireless and wired PCs will have access to it, and the printers it's connected to.

Reply to
Peter Pan

"Kevin" wrote in news:1108135211.680657.126630 @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Can you get a longer cable for the printer?

Or perhaps even use a printer extender?

Reply to
Lucas Tam

yeah, hey thanks, I know how to connect a printer to my wireless network. The point was that most of the turkey hardware hotspot solutions want a printer actually connected to the hotspot hardware....and thats something I don't want and doesn't fit into the scenario I described.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

So how does the customer get a receipt?

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

well, do they really need a reciept?

They get a login and id which they can buy time online and it is credited toward their account. I don't want to deal with cash, so a printer at the coffee shop or bagel place is really something that doesn't figure into the picture. If I want to do that, one of the things I asked for was the ability to print out prepaid tickets. I just don't understand the need to buy a $400 printer that usually needs to be connected directly to the hotspot hardware to work. I have a $59 epson that can print out those as well as the $400+ dollar cheap thermal printer.

So, if we can ignore the printer, can anyone offer some real advice?

I'd rather conentrate on the router

Reply to
Kevin

Back to my original post...

Reply to
Kevin

I guess all the advice that has been flowing is false, since it wont do what you want..... So sorry.......

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

I may have solved my own problem. I chanced on ControlAP while doing my

999th search and it looks like it might be what I'm looking for. It has several different packages, with the full boat that manages mulitple APS/Installations costing $279.

Also, if you don't need all the features I'm looking for, it has the added benefit of being able to be downloaded to many of the AP/Routers that are modifiable including the linksys WRT54G and a few others. The full software suite runs on Windows or UNIX or mac, so that makes it even more attractive in my estimation. It will even print out prepaid tickets that I can give to the store owners to sell if they wish while letting me do paypal billing. It also has the option of doing billing through the company that makes controlap.

If others are interested in looking at this, they can go to

formatting link
They offer a free trial which I'm evaluating now. Looks like a pretty good product.

Thanks,

Kevin

Robert Jacobs wrote:

advice?

Reply to
Kevin

I have installed controlap and can not get to the hotspot administration

main menu. Can anybody help

Reply to
gaf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.