Lost WIFI on ToshibaL655-S5156

Hi guys, I have laptop, I use an Alfa AWUS036H wifi adapter on my boat. After having some difficulty connecting on my boat, I installed new (RTL8187)? software. I didn't uninstall the first install, but it did connect (usually). I had two different icon signal indicators in my tray. So, I uninstalled (what I think is the old RTL8187 software. The uninstall did not remove the second signal icon from my tray, however now I can't find my original OEM wifi unit. I can't get online while at home. Before uninstalling the program I saved it!

I thought maybe the program I uninstalled was the driver for the built in Toshiba wifi adapter. But when open the folder the files also seem to be related to the RTL8187. But, I don't know what the Toshiba uses, so it could be the original Alfa software or maybe for the Toshiba wifi adapter. As you see I'm a bit lost.

Here is a list of what's in the folder I uninstalled. net89xp net8187b net8187Se net9192ce net9192se Is this anything to do with my OEM Toshiba wifi drivers?

OR,

How do I get the OEM wifi on my laptop to work?

Thanks for any help. Mikek

Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

I went to Device Manager, the only thing I see under "Network Adapters" is Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. I don't think this is wifi, am I correct? Under "Other Devices" I see "Network Controller" This device status is "The Drivers for this device are not installed.(code 28)

Is there a hint here? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I found this, that includes my model, but I don't know yet if I'm missing it. I don't want to install without more info.

formatting link

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

formatting link

Oh, Looks like this is the wireless LAN driver. Am I getting close? How do I verify I need it?

formatting link

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Any particular operating system?

If Windoze, use System Restore to roll the machine back to where you were before you started the uninstall.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ok, I've spent the last couple of hours trying to do a restore back to the date I uninstalled. I continue to get a message that an error occurred and it didn't restore or change anything. I did mange to do a restore to yesterday. That was mostly a test to make sure my Antivirus was not stopping the System Restore. During my attempted restore, it showed what programs would be restored. One was Realtek 2.00.0011 so I've googled that will attempt an install.

Any other ideas? Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Hello? Which Windoze mutation?

Do the system restore to a date BEFORE you did the uninstall.

Some Auntie-Virus programs will blow up with a system restore and need to be reinstalled. Don't panic when that happens.

Well, at least we've identified the driver version.

1. Shutdown Windoze, remove the charger, unplug the battery, and go away for about 15 minutes. That resets anything that might have continuous power on from Wake-on-LAN.
  2. Unplug the Alfa and leave it unplugged. If possible, uninstall the Alfa driver and connection manager. Reboot. If not possible, you may need to remove the driver from the Windoze Device Manager. The procedure is different for different OS's. Which Windoze?
  3. Go to the download page: and find the correct driver. Do NOT install. Just have it on the machine ready to install. I don't care if it's the latest.
  4. Identify the wireless card in your machine. That means opening up the door on the bottom and looking at the card. If Intel, go to the Intel web pile (not Toshiba) for the latest Proset driver. Do not get confused with the Proset wired ethernet driver that may already be installed. Many drivers are sufficiently buggy that they will not coexist with other wireless drivers. I've made a mess of my machine testing multiple wireless devices. The plan is to get it back to a state where only the internal wireless driver works, and then build from there.
  5. I'm not going any further until you identify the operating system version.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Windoze 7

I tried to restore to a time before the uninstall, but it won't work, It says there is an error.

Shut down remove battery, had a drink.

Found wifi card to be a Realtek 8188CE.

reinstalled battery, rebooted,

I removed the Alfa Software through, control panel, programs, uninstall.

Found this driver on page 6 of your Toshiba link. 05-20-2010 Driver Wi-Fi Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)(v2007.1.1002.2009; 05-12-2010; 18.29M)

I found other were for Windoze 8 so I picked this older one.

OK I did install it... didn't work.

If I go into -system information-, -components-, double click -adapters- the window that fills has 16 entries with all their info.

I see the one I just installed and it says; Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC The n part bothers me... I think I'm using G, Old Linksys WTR54G

Wrong Driver?

I'll pickup in the morning.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

32 bit or 64 bit?

What does the error message say? Windoze 7 (and Vista) system restore doesn't seem to work very well. When it fails for me, it usually suggests a dying hard disk drive. I suggest you install and run: Go to the S.M.A.R.T. tab and run the "Perform In-Depth Analysis" report.

If you're looking at 6 pages, you forgot to filter by operating system and 32/64bit. There's also a filter by category, which includes wi-fi. No need to go through 7 pages of rubbish.

Use the filters.

Remove any drivers that don't belong, aren't used, or are from failed experiments.

Probably the wrong driver.

Hint: I do image backups using Acronis True Image 2013 to avoid such exercises.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 x64-based PC

System Restore error says: System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070005)

Previous to this attempt I did shut down my antivirus, I didn't this run, but I got the same message. I'll try uninstalling my antivirus and see if that helps.

Jeff, I don't have a clue which program I want even, after the filters. Do I want wifi, Lan, ATheros, Realtek. The WIFI adapter does say Realtek 8188CE. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Hi Jeff, In an effort to get an error free System Restore I remove all protection. AdAware, ZoneAlarm, Avast, IoBit, and Advanced System Care. I'm sure that's more than I needed to but: When I rebooted the computer my wifi started working!

At this point the only WIFI Driver I see in my "Uninstall or Change program" list is Realtek WLAN Driver 2.00.0011

I'm reinstall my antivirus and other protections before going online. I'll get to the boat later where my Alfa Adapter is setup and see if I can install the driver for that. Then come home and see if my internal adapter still works.

If there is anything else you think I need to do...

BTW, I have several critical Windows updates, what happens when I do a restore back before these updates? Do they just get updated again on the next Windows update?

Thanks for your help, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Never mind me recommending MSE. I guess I haven't been paying attention to what's been happening with the quality of MSE.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Mikek,

I've been watching this thread for a while.

I have some experience with the Realtek 8187 chipset conflicting with on board Realtek drivers.

I can only offer my suggestions on this matter as below.

1) uninstall all wifi drivers.

2) reboot - windows should find a driver for the onboard card.

3) install the Alfa drivers (these are for the 8187L chipset)

4) delete and reinstall the laptop ethernet driver - the reason being that this can be overwritten by an incorrect driver when the Alfa drivers get installed - I found this out the hard way. I'm not saying this is definitely your problem, but it did happen to me and gives the symptoms described.

5) do not let windoze manage the wifi - use the Realtek wifi software. If you don't, it's highly likely you will get connection and instability issues.

6) If you are using 64 bit windows you may have to find and use suitable drivers - I've only dealt with this issue on a 32 bit PC.

7) If using Avast DO NOT enable network filtering as this can/will slow down/possibly hang wifi significantly.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me

At this time I think the wifi is connecting to the router, but I don't think the router is allowing connection to the net.

Here's what the Windows Diagnostic says.

Problems Found: The DNS Server Is Not Responding. Detected

Here's what it says under Basic Network Information.

formatting link

Is there a clue there.

Odd thing, It worked every connection yesterday, but that is the way it has been. Works fine then stops. Or won't work then it connects and works fine. Although youtube is very slow to load.

I'll check my Avast. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.