losing wirless connection when switching off

Are you actually shutting it down, (laptop closing the lid), or just putting it into standby/hibernate mode? Just for fun, do the start/Turn off computer/power off when shutting down.. From what you say it sounds like standby/hibernate.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Just reread my typing and realized I put the (laptop closing the lid) in the wrong place, but the stuff you responded with says you have a laptop, and are going into hibernate/standby mode, rather than actually shutting it down (mouse click on start/turn off computer/power off). That is exactly what happens when you go into standby/hibernate mode, rather than actual power off. Sounds like you are hitting the power switch to power off, but your system power settings that tell it to "hit power switch to go into standby/hibernate mode"... Computers are wierd.. You actually have to do the "start" etc sequence to Stop... go figger.... :) Your laptop will automatically connect to the network when you reboot UNLESS you have an unsecured network, in which case it will wait with a warning (basically the warning says, you are about to connect to an unsecured network. Do you want to continue" in which case you have to check a checkbox saying "continue anyway".

Reply to
Peter Pan

Not usually, especially on a laptop.. Goes into power save/hibernate/standby for a few days until the battery dies... Make sure it isn't plugged in, and go on vacation for a week or so.. when you come back it will reboot.

Reply to
Peter Pan

When switch off my computer for the night, the next morning when i switch on, the connection between my laptop and my computer is gone. The icons are in the system tray, I am sending packets but not receiving. The only way to get my connection running again is to open my connections folder open propeties on my internet connection, untick the share internet connection, retick it then dis-connect and then re-connect and it works fine all day.

Reply to
Gareth Leatham

Yes I'm powering off my computer, my laptop seems okay, it's my main computer because I never have to do anything to my laptop, when i do like i described above, the laptop then connects to the network automatically.

Reply to
Gareth Leatham

What OS are you using? There are known problems in WinXP with standby/hibernate taht are fixed by applying service pack 2.

This sounds like a hibernate rather than a full shutdown. I usually suspend my laptop. After some length of time, it hibernates. With WinXP SP2, the WiFi reconnects nicely. I rarely shutdown or reboot.

Reply to
dold

My desktop is set that way (hibernate when I hit the power switch). Adjustable from the control panel-power settings. I agree that it sounds like this is a hibernate and not a shutdown.

WinXP-SP2 changes that the first time you connect. It sets it to automatically connect.

Reply to
dold

technically no, the motherboard has a trickle of power all the time unless you pull the plug out of the wall.

Reply to
Gareth Leatham

Funny that. I bet the computer goes off when you turn the computer off too.

Barry

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.