Lose wireless Internet connection when unplug laptop power to battery

Wondering if someone can solve a problem that has stumped many IT professionals.

Why does my Thinkpad t40 running XP Pro lose the Internet connection when I unplug the laptop and run off the battery?

In other words, I'll be working on the laptop wirelessly fine. I unplug the computer to move to another room, and the Internet connection drops off (but the computer is still running). The weird thing is that I still see the Wireless Network Connection icon in the lower right-hand corner (near the clock).

Any suggestions?

Reply to
mdkrantz
Loading thread data ...

Depends on the card but I'd wonder if the machine's not configured to go into some sort of reduced performance mode when running off of the batteries. Try reconfiguring the power control panel such that it operates as "full performance" regardless of being on batteries or not. Then checked the Advanced tab of the network card control panel and see if there are also power saving modes; disable them. See if that makes a difference. Then decide which power saving modes are best suited to how you need to use the machine.

WiFi depends on using a radio, and as such it'll certainly drain your batteries faster than not using it. But it's been my experience that software drivers attempting to 'manage' the power consumption often fail horribly. The exception being my wife's teenie little Sony VAIO T350PL, that thing's just amazing on how well it manages *everything* power-related. Anyway, check those control panels and preferences and see if that makes a difference; it probably will.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.