Looking for WISP information

I am in a rural Kansas setting and cannot get any type of high-speed internet. I live about 15 miles from the nearest larger town with any sort of wireless connectivity.

I would like any information/ websites/etc on where to get information on starting a wireless ISP for my community. I am a novice to ISP but have some computer experience. I have some information on Motorola Canopy system, I'm not sure that this is the best set up only reaching 2 miles.

I will need all information that anyone has from system type, billing all the way to what size internet connection(T1) and how to find the local loop or backbone.

I know that this is limited information but I do not want to rant.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Tim Vice

Reply to
Tim Vice
Loading thread data ...

What you seem to be asking for is a complete business plan, or a book. Jack Unger wrote a good book about it, "Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks". And you can get a lot of info from the following website,

formatting link
. Follow all the links you can possibly cram in about wireless and starting an ISP. There's a maillist you can join to see what everybody is talking about (equipment, laws, technology, etc.) by writing to: mailto: snipped-for-privacy@isp-wireless.com . There's also archives of the postings to the list. There are many more maillists about wireless, but that would get you a good start.

Motorola Canopy is supposed to be very good, I've not used them myself. But there's lots of very good manufacturers. If your town is rural enough like mine, you can easily get away with using 802.11b equipment or better yet, 802.11g. It'd be cheaper, but like everything else, there are tradeoffs.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Reply to
Tim Vice

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.