Looking for Wifi and Tivo advice.

Hello,

My wife, son and I live next door to my parents. There is approximately

25 feet between our house and theirs.

My father has a Tivo in his family room. I have broadband and a wireless d-link 802.11g network at my house.

I would like my father to be able to set his Tivo to use my broadband connection to get its channel guides. The actual distance between his Tivo and my router is about 35 feet with around a ten foot altitude difference.

I don't think that I will have a problem with signal. While building my house my family lived in the "other end" of my parents place which is another 35 feet away with all the house in between. We were able to connect our desktop out there. (This test was done after the cable was installed in the new place, just before moving our computer and such over)

On to the query, finally. I want to do this on the cheap, and without dragging my network down to .11b. (The transfer rate between the laptop/desktop and Samba server in the garage would suffer me thinks) Any suggestions on kit? I am fairly savy when it comes to this kind of thing and can usually sus it out right quickly when it doesn't work out of the box, but am having trouble getting the Tivo to play nice with any of the "approved" usb wifi adapters. Everything I read says better luck with a bridge or router in bridge mode using a usb to cat5 adapter.

Is anyone here doing this? If so what kit are you using? Can I get two .11b AP's and run them in bridge mode specifying a different channel to keep it from dragging down my network? Basically just looking for some dialog on the subject before jumping into the fray again.

TIA,

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Case
Loading thread data ...

Check out

formatting link
They have all sorts of Tivo and network stuff (along with a lot of other neat stuff). Sorry I can't be more explicit, but there are a bunch of DVR's with the tivo stuff built in FWIW, I have a humanx DVR with Tivo, and ended up direct wiring my tivo to the WAP/Router (USB to Ethernet adapter)... Tivo2Go software, and a codec. let me watch recordings/live tv wirelessly on my laptops. Or with other downloadable programs on the Tivo website, you can control the thing (set recordings etc) too.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.