Looking for USB Device to stream music on FM frequency (PC to FM Radio)

Hi ! Does anyone of you have an idea of a product that do this. I am looking for a USB device that I could plug in my desktop and i would stream to FM Radio frequence predefined so I could Tune my old FM Radio in my appartement to the music played on my computer. I know it does exist for iPod with car radio. However, I am looking for the same functionality but USB. Any Idea ?

Thanks

SP

Reply to
Simon-Pierre Jarry
Loading thread data ...

There are a great many miniature FM transmitters intended to relay stereo audio inputs for reception on an FM receiver; some are marketed to MP3 player owners, others are marketed to home theater owners as wireless headset and speaker transmitters. A common brand for a small battery operated transmitter intended for MP3 players is Belkin. Just plug the stereo plug into the PC's line out jack, set the transmitter's frequency and tune the FM receiver. Be advised that the miniature units usually have very limited range and very low power and often are unsuitable in an RF hostile environment. You might do well to search for "long-range" "FM stereo transmitter" or "FM wireless headphone" (use only the transmitter portion in this case). Also I have seen mention of USB combined 'sound card'+transmitter devices for those who cannot use the PC's internal audio outputs.

Michael

Reply to
msg

Never seen a USB one, mostly they're line-out / headphone socket devices.

The big issue is that range is limited due to local regulations on polluting the FM band. In the UK, they're effective up to perhaps 15 feet if youre lucky. Fine for in-car use but not that great round the house. I have the belkin Tunecast II.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

been using this one for about 6 months now has a range of about 50 feet

formatting link

Reply to
crazygolfer62

formatting link
hear good things about the Ramsey kits but have no first hand experience.

I'm not a fan of FM parts 15 transmitters. The FM broadcast band is too close to the civilian aviation band. Locally there was a situation where a pirate had a funny spur on his transmitter that fell into the civilian air band. The FCC tracked him down. AM parts 15 is another story. I don't think you can do too much damage with one that goes awry, other than interfere with a domestic AM broadcast station. That might annoy somebody, but no threat to life.

I'm sure you know there are wifi boxes that do what you want. Roku comes to mind, though the sound isn't all that good. I have a Squeezebox, but that requires an external amp and speakers. The sound quality of the Squeezebox is as good as a CD player. Those guys didn't screw around. The Roku however is substantially cheaper.

Reply to
miso

Simon-Pierre Jarry hath wroth:

Searching Google for "USB FM Transmitter" returns 212,000 hits for qualifying hardware. Lot to chose from. These look interesting, but a bit expensive:

Much cheaper:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

How does it connect to your USB port on your computer?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.