looking for router that's capable of dyndns *and* broadcast / Wake-on-lan

Hi,

I am looking for a new router.

It should be specifically capable of two things:

- update my IP-adsress at DynDNS.org

AND

- either receive broadcasts or have a Wake-on-LAN feature.

I want to be able to remotely start (wake up) my PC via the internet. So a) I have to be able to find out about the IP-adress and then b) send the magic packet for wake-on-LAN to the internal broadcast IP (i.a. 192.168.0.255).

Does anyone know a device that can do this?

Thanks, Ulrich

Reply to
UH
Loading thread data ...

On 29 Nov 2006 03:28:02 -0800, "UH" wrote in :

See

Not directly, but see Buffalo WZR-RS-G54

Reply to
John Navas

The Linksys WRT54G has embedded DynDNS.org.

For what its worth for anyone looking at alternative remote controls ideas, voice radio pagers with off-frequency DTMF decoders.

We have several Motorola voice pagers that open up with the same capcode and use a non-standard DTMF timebase crystal other than the stock

3.57 MHz color-burst frequency crystal. We can reboot servers and access points by remote control if the TCP/IP infrastructure is down.
Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

"UH" hath wroth:

WRT54G, WHR-HP-54G or similar router with DD-WRT firmware.

I don't use the DDNS part, but I sometimes use the WOL feature when I wanna turn on my office PC and pickup some files.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"UH" wrote in news:1164799682.009892.187260 @j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

What wrong with using one of the several automatic dynamic dns updaters ?

I use DirectUpdate, and it works great. There are others that are freeware.

I personally have not used WOL NIC's, so I have no idea what is required for that.

Reply to
DanS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.