Looking for a wireless router that can email its traffic logs on a periodic basis...

I need a wireless router that can email its traffic logs on a periodic basis. I thought this would be a common option, but apparently, no one on earth decided to make this a feature on their routers. :op

The only one I found that does this is the Netgear WGR614. Unfortunately, the WGR614 is a steaming piece of crap. :oP Based on the reviews all over the net, I'd say it has about a 50% defect rate. But it was the only one I found that would email its logs, so I got one anyway. And whatdyaknow... mine ended up being defective.

Another one of the problems I had was finding a router that allowed for mail server authentication. I had an older Netgear router (which worked fine, btw) that had "email traffic log" options, but it didn't have anywhere to put in authentication for the mail server, so the email with the log would never get sent.

So if anyone has experience with a reliable router that they know for a fact can email its traffic logs, then please (oh please, oh please) let me know.

WATYF

Reply to
WATYF
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 06:57:19 -0800 (PST), WATYF wrote in :

SonicWALL.

Reply to
John Navas

My Netgear WGR614 does that.

Hmmm. Try again... mine has been good for a few years now. Reviews all over the net tend to be at the margins of reality.

My SMC router also mailed logs, but I would never recommend one of those. The WGR614 does have settings for authentication. E-mail Turn E-mail Notification On Send Alerts and Logs Via E-mail Send To This E-mail Address: Your Outgoing Mail Server: My Mail Server requires authentication User Name: Password:

Reply to
dold

Well... looks like the WGR614 isn't an option any more. I bit the bullet and decided to go buy another one (even though a huge portion of the literally thousands of reviews on the net are bad). So I get it home and hook it up and lo and behold...

THEY REMOVED THE EMAIL FEATURE.

That's right folks. The only freaking router on the entire face of planet earth that would email traffic logs no longer emails traffic logs.

Happy New Year!

*sigh*

WATYF

Reply to
WATYF

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:37:00 -0800 (PST), WATYF wrote in :

It's NOT the only router with that feature.

Reply to
John Navas

Right... what I meant to say was... it's the only router under seven hundred dollars (ack!!!) that will email logs.

WATYF

Reply to
WATYF

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.