Looking for a cordless phone that uses wifi

Instead of battling with cordless phone and wifi interference, I thought I'd just get a cordless that runs on wifi. The concept is simple, a cordless phone that runs over an existing access point. A base station that is connected to the data network makes the connection to an analog phone line.

I haven't seen such a product. Please help.

Chris

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow
Loading thread data ...

I use a Zyxel WiFi VOIP phone. I use it every day for work. It's real nice since I can take it with me and wherever I have an open WiFi signal I can use my phone.

Frank Keeney, Blog:

formatting link

Reply to
Frank

There might be reasons to do that, but avoiding interference isn't one of them, and I don't think you want a VoIP phone unless you need it.

I bought a Panasonic KX-TG5453 at Costco. This is three handset,

5.8GHz-only. I've always liked Panasonic phones and answering machines. The KX-TG5432M with two handsets, is $108 at Radio Shack.

It is fully featured, and the audio quality is superb. Each handset has a speakerphone, spoken caller ID, separate phonebooks, and distinctive ringtones, and different lights on the antenna for personalized distinctive ringing.

It even says "Wireless Network Friendly" on the package, ignoring 802.11a, I suppose. It lists 802.11b/g on the specs.

Reply to
dold

Apart from the already mentioned Zyxel P2000, there are ones from UTstar, Senao, not to mention Cisco (and few others I can't remember). Trouble is none of them are comparable price with ordinary cordless phones, and don't even ask the price of the Cisco one, unless your name is Bill Gates ;-).

There are also quite few PDA's / phones which have WiFi access and can run X-lite or other soft phone, but again they aren't cheap. However very soon there will be ordinary mobile phones with built in WiFi e.g. Nokia N61. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

No such thing, but you can choose from a range of frequencies, such as 30,

900, 2400, or 5800.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Why not get a cordless that doesn't interfere instead? :-)

(mine don't, two different sorts of bog-standard bought-on-amazon cordless phones for the UK market).

I belive you can get (pretty expensive) VOIP handsets which can do this. You can then get a voip ATA which can route phone calls to and from the PSTN. Some mobiles can also do wifi. Expect to pay a fairly annoying premium for this though. :-(

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.