location of AP

I'd like to know where the best place in a home to put a wireless router. I've got the d-link wireless router on the main floor. But I'm finding a bad connection in the basement. Would putting it upstairs be the best place?

How else can I improve the range? I'm on channel 11 now.

Reply to
ggewrvgn245234
Loading thread data ...

You might find that a USB wireless adapter on the basement PC can help to move the antenna to where the signal is best. You can have up to 75 feet of cable (using active cable extensions). Also you might consider a USB adapter with a directional antenna such as the Hawking HWU54D

formatting link
USB client which includes a small panel antenna. Approx $60.

Of course you could easily construct a tin cantenna that would give similar results:

formatting link

Reply to
Bob Alston

In article , ggewrvgn245234 wrote: :I'd like to know where the best place in a home to put a wireless :router. I've got the d-link wireless router on the main floor. But :I'm finding a bad connection in the basement. Would putting it :upstairs be the best place?

Placing the unit upstairs is not likely to help your connection in the basement, unless you, by chance, get around whatever issue is leading to poor signal strength between the main floor and basement.

:How else can I improve the range? I'm on channel 11 now.

How do you have your antennaes oriented for the router? The typical antenna coverage pattern, with antenna raised, is to cover mostly on the same level as the router, with a bit of coverage at a downward angle. If your wireless device in the basement does not happen to fall within the section covered by the slight downward angle, then you are going to get poor signal. If, though, you reorient the antenna, you could potentially aim the signal more downwards. Does your d-link have two antenna? If so, then you could try having one horizontal and one vertical and see how that goes.

Even if you get the correct coverage angle, there is the possibility that there is something blocking the signal -- something like a metal beam, or furnance ducts. If so, then possibly moving the device a little in the basement might make a big difference.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.