Location for Router

Well, you've just discovered why I keep recommending seperating the router box from the wireless access point and NOT buying a conglomerated package. The router wants to live where all the wires come together which usually means on the floor under the desk. The access point (radio) wants to live as high a possible (on a bookshelf) to maximize the coverage area. It's kinda difficult to have it both ways in one package. Methinks you'll find that the coverage from the floor is awful. At least get the antenna up to mid window level.

Your unspecified model Linksys wireless router *MAY* have two removeable antennas. So do, some don't. If yours does, then you might consider adding an external panel (patch) antenna and point it towards the patio area. Your floor level antenna will take care of anything around the desk, while the external panel antenna will cover the other area of interest.

If you do this, there will be a possible complication. If you have one computah connected wirelessly via one antenna, and another connected via the other antenna, file transfers between the two machines will be slow and erratic. Otherwise, such a dual antenna arrangement will work normally.

See:

formatting link
panel antennas. The connecting coax cable and pigtail MUST be fat and short or you will lose far too much signal to make the effort worthwhile.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Just got a wireless kit (Linksys Notebook kit) and I am about to start the installation.

I am using a rather small desk, and will use my laptop about 80 % of time on this desk and the remaining 20% on my patio. I currently have the cable modem on the floor, under the desktop and not far from the electrical connections.

I would like to place the router on the floor too, under the desk, for lack of a better place. Any comments? What considerations should I have for the router location?

Thanks for any help

Reply to
Les

low didn't work for me, worked terrible off the concrete slab floor. moved it about a few times before deciding up high about two foot off the ceiling where the antenna had a clear shot through the middle of a window pane to my patio.

Sure did wish I'd bought an access point and non-wireless router instead as now there's a lot of cables up there at the router that could have been under a desk or nearby the modem and had a ball of wires hidden.

Reply to
bumtracks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.