Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged

go to connect to, show all connections, right click on the local area connection, and uncheck the box for Notify me when this connection has no connectivity

yanman wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Does your machine have a regular ethernet port? That's likely what warning is about. Disable that one.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Hi there

I'm pretty new to all this so apologies if I break etiquette

I'm trying to set up a wireless internet connection using a wireless router and a wireless cardbus adapter. Once I've installed the card I get the dreaded red cross on the bottom left corner of my screen.

It states Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged

When I go into Settings etc it states the connection is unavailable

I use Win 2000.

Any help in configuring will be much appreciated or a point in the right direction for a more appropriate group

Cheers

Reply to
yanman

The device is working fine and all drivers are installed. The Link light on the card is flashing so no problems there. It seems the system is looking for a cable which ofcourse it does'nt need.

Reply to
yanman

Have you set up a wireless network for it to connect to?

You need to ensure that it is set to infrastructure mode and also the router and the wireless adaptor have the same SSID. Is the router set up to be a DHCP server as well? It will need to be if you want to access the internet (or connect to the network)otherwise your wireless adaptor will not be allocated an IP address.

Reply to
Tony

Thats odd that it's stating "A Network Cable is Unplugged", rather than "Wireless Network Is Unavailable" -- but with WinXP, I get something similiar on occassion. When first booting up WinXP, the card is recognized and the connection comes alive -- but the icon on the system tray remains with an "X" on it (and also stating that "Wireless Network Not Available"). The connection is working perfectly fine (i.e., I can web browse and do everything network related), but the icon remains as if it isn't active. It is a rare occurance (perhaps one in 15 bootups?) and since I don't power down that often anyway, I just marked it off as during the booting process sometimes there is a "timing thing" between when WinXP checks to see if it's active and the drivers load, activate, etc. This happens with both my laptop and desktop, which are both running WinXP. It is infrequent with both as well. My "solution" is to go into "Network Connections", disable the wireless connection and then re-enable it. If I don't do anything, the icon will change to "active" by itself within ten minutes, but seeing that "X" icon for ten minutes (while I'm on the web!) is an eyesore, so I do the disable/enable thing. :^)

Its so infrequent and minor that I'm not even going to bother "troubleshooting" it. (This is with D-Link hardware/drivers, both a PMCIA

802.11a/b card for laptop and a PCI 802.11a/b card for desktop.)
Reply to
Eras

yanman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just because you have a solid wireless connection doesn't mean you have a valid network connection. If you're using wireless encryption WEP or WAP, then maybe the key you gave for the card and the one you gave for the router don't match and you will not get a valid network connection but you'll have a good signal connection.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.