local area connection

I had created a local area connection between my desktop and laptop using an ethernet cable. I now have installed a wireless router and want to create a local area connection using my wireless connection. When I use the network setup wizard on my laptop, however, it only recognizes my old ethernet connection and tells me the cable is disconnected. I can't delete the old local area connection. How do I change it to wireless rather than the missing cable? Ned

Reply to
ned
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!

Thanks, but I couldn't find anything in the article that told me how to modify my local area connection so that it would recognize the wireless connection.

Reply to
ned

"ned" hath wroth:

Right. Not a clue what hardware you're working with or what you've actually done to "create a network". I prefer evolution over creationism, but if you can demonstrate a creation, I'll gladly change sides. Meanwhile, it would be interesting to know what hardware and software you're using.

I'll assume XP Home SP2 with all the updates and that you're using Microsloth Wireless Zero Config and not the vendors wireless client manager.

XP has the weird concept of a "default" connection, which works with the check box "detect network connection" (or something like that as I don't have an XP box in front of me). You'll see a small check box showing the default connection in: Control Panel -> Network and Dialup Right click on the icon with the check box and *UNSELECT* the default network connection until you have no default connection. Then dig into the properties for your wired and wireless connections and find the "detect network connection" box (or something like that) and make sure it's checked. It's probably only on the ethernet device. It should then switch automagically between ethernet and wireless as controlled by whether you have something plugged into the ethernet jack. Toshiba and IBM also have utilities that take over control of this switching feature.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What sort of wireless network interface do you have in your computer?

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Jeff, I am using Windows XP home with SP2. I guess that I am using ms wireless zero config (I used the Windows network wizard). At your suggestion, I went into control panel and then network connections. The window shows two LAN or HIgh-speed internet connections: wireless network connection and local area connection. The local area connection shows a device name: realtek rtlb8139 family fast ethernet NIC. When I right click on that icon, the status and repair options are not available. From what I have read, I should be able to click the status option. Nothing I see allows me to determine a default or to unselect it. Ned

Reply to
ned

Derek, I am not sure I understand the question. I am using a Linksys wireless router if that helps. That part of the system is working fine. I can connect to the internet using both my desktop and laptop. Ned

Reply to
ned

"ned" hath wroth:

Are they both enabled? Right click and select "Enable" if they're not.

Very common ethernet controller chip.

That probably means that you have the ethernet port disabled. Select enable and it should offer those choices.

Also, dive into: Right click on "My computer" on the desktop. Select Properties. Select Device Manager See if there's anything screwed up or disabled on both the network devices. There should NOT be any yellow or red marks on the icons.

If none of the above do anything useful, go back to the device manager, find the Realtek 8139 ethernet controller, and select "reinstall driver" or "update driver" (I forgot which).

Oops... before you do that, shut down the laptop, turn off the power, unplug the power supply, remove the battery, get a cup of coffee, and give the laptop a few minutes to discharge. Most desktops and a few laptops have the Wake On LAN feature that leaves power applied to the ethernet interface even when it's turned off. This is not very common with laptops but with a check.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff, The ethernet port is enabled. I visited device mgr and everything was working. When I tried to reinstall the driver for Realtek, it asked me for the installation CD. I tried both OS CD and the driver recovery CD. Both times the wizard told me it was unable to discover a better driver. I tried the search function on both CDs but couldn't find anything that looked like a Realtek driver. Ned

Reply to
ned

Jeff, Is there any reason for me not to just uninstall the Realtek driver? Do I need it for anything? Ned

Reply to
ned

"ned" hath wroth:

It's the driver for your ethernet device. If it's there, it should be functional. The day will arrrive when you'll need it. The driver should be on the unspecified laptop vendors web site. The sloppy way to reinstall the driver is to delete the entry from the device manager and reboot. Plug-n-Pray should find the ethernet device and offer to install a driver. Point it at the "new" driver.

The Realtek RTL8139 is a rather generic device. You might wanna try the driver from their site:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You can't change the existing connection since its specifc to the network card. Either disable it or delete it, then create a brand new network connection.

If the wizard insists on using your ethernet card it means it can't detect the wireless card in your laptop (you /do/ have one?), so read the instructions to find out how to enable it. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Fine. And what sort of wireless card is in your Laptop?

You do realise you need wireless hardware at both ends. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Jeff, I removed the ethernet device. I tried using my network setup wizard again. This time it didn't get stuck on the unconnected ethernet connection, but I still didn't get a working local net. When I rebooted, the laptop automatically reinstalled the ethernet connection. I must have a different problem. I will try some more research on setting up local networks. thanks for all your help. Ned

Reply to
ned

Mark, It has to be enabled. I am using it to connect to the internet with my laptop. Plus, it shows up in the internet connections window (and shows up as enabled). It's just the wizard that can't seem to recognize it.

Reply to
ned

Mark, Although the network connections window does show a generic wireless connection, it doesn't show the wireless network that I created to use the internet. That network is encrypted (and shows up in the wireless connection properties). Might that be why the wizard can't see it? Is there some way to configure that network so that it will be visible? The network authentication is now set at open and the data encryption is WEP. Ned

Reply to
ned

The Network Connections window only shows whether or not your LAN or High Speed connections (be it wired or wireless) is connected or not. If you want to see your LAN, you need to click on MY NETWORK PLACES (if using XP) or VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS. I hope this is the information you're seeking.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.