Linux, WPA-Supplicant, and poor signal/frequent AP power failures

Hey folks =) How does wpa supplicant react to an AP going down and coming back up? i'm thinking about key exchanges. the power often goes out on my AP due to crappy power lines, and i don't want to be consoling into the linux machine every time this happens to reenable the interface.

I figure in the worst-case scenario, I connect successfully to the WPA network using WPA Supplicant. Keys are renewed/recreated every 3600 seconds. Linux machine is expecting A key. AP Restarts, generates a new 'B' key which does not match with the 'A' that the linux client has. Will WPA Supplicant, or my router attempt to negotiate a new key?

I imagine the difference between an AP going hard offline and losing signal for a while is that losing signal won't force a new 3600second key to be created.

Sorry if I'm not very clear, but I think I somehow got my message across.

(WRT54GS, running linksys firmware, soon to be running openWRT. I will be buying some sort of linksys or intel wireless card for the new client computer.)

-JP

Reply to
jp.senior
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.