Linux CD with Atheros driver and Kismet?

I have a Toshiba laptop with built-in wireless - it shows up as Atheros AR5005G in the Device Manager. I'm running XP Home.

I would like to be able to see what wireless devices are in my area, including access points which do not broadcast their SSID. From past discussions here, I understand that Windows wireless chipset drivers don't put the card into promiscuous mode, and therefore don't do the stealth-SSID thing, but Linux drivers do handle that.

But I've already told you everything I know about Linux, and, honestly, everything I want to know at ths point. So I wondered if anyone knows of a live-boot CD version of Linux (something like Ubuntu?) which already contains the needed Atheros driver as well as something like Kismet, so I can do my wireless sniffing without having to master Linux, and without modifying the contents of my hard drive.

Ok, this is probably asking too much, but I thought I would ask just in case.

Reply to
Peabody
Loading thread data ...

Hi there,

I have a Tosh laptop that uses Atheros and PCLinux loads the correct drivers for it.

Regards, John.

Reply to
Me

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.