Linksys WVC54GC wireless camera - pos

This is not a rant about the usual newbie networking problem trying to get a wireless camera on their network.

This is about Linksys tech service, the firmware of this specific camera, and its inability to perform major features advertised on the box.

After 1.5 hours on chat with Linksys tech support, 1.5 hours on the phone with them, and 4 days exchanging emails, here are the facts:

The camera requires MSIE to view video, based on its requirement of ActiveX. The OCX that entails is invoked from the firmware. That OCX contains a certificate that expired on 6.26.06 (it was a one week certificate, for unknown reasons). So you have to open MSIE to run an ActiveX with failed cert of publisher (security exposure).

On 7.13.06, Linksys put a firmware patch up to fix this cert. So if you want to buy the camera and use it without opening a security hole, add some time for finding that patch and reflashing firmware.

Tech support advised also reflashing the firmware and pointed to the file on the download site. The only "bin" file available in that download fails with the message "format error". So you can't even reflash it.

Next, the WVC54GC will not, and I mean WILL NOT, send an email on motion detection when properly set up per the doc. And I read ALL the doc.

Now to tech service, the happy experience you will have if you buy this POS. One nice Indian suggested I change the port from 80 to 1024. When asked how this affects the camera executing a port 25 smtp session, he fell silent. Another suggested I turn on UPNP. When I asked how setting up direct discovery from XP was relevant to the WVC54GC doing SMTP when no computer was activated on the network (after all, it IS an "internet" camera, not one processed through a computer, this camera is on your net, not on a computer), he also fell silent.

Then of course, one takes me through the email motion setup, as if I didn't read the doc five times and verify the setup before I embarked on wasting hours with tech service.

In other words, this prox $100 WVC54GC internet camera comes bollicked out of the box, the tech support is what you would expect from a gas station being asked to defuse a nuclear weapon, and you need to expect a few days of frustration before you take the WVC54GC POS back to the store and stand in line to return it. Linksys and Cisco have really screwed this up from start to finish.

Reply to
<notforemail
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the warning. FWIW, Duh-Link isn't any better. Axis is nice, but isn't playing in that price range...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I have the WVC54G and motion detection / email has never worked. I just gave up. Apparently there are very few other owners out there on news groups to share these issues with. Linksys email support was no help.

Reply to
DanR

hath wroth:

ActiveX for various Mozilla based web browsers:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Three years ago, I bought the Linksys WVC11B, which was an earlier version of the WVC54GC. It still ranks as one of my worst computer related purchases of all time, and given the fact that I once bought a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A home computer that is saying a lot. Those webcams don't seem to work with any 3rd party software, so it is impossible to send stills by FTP to a website. I finally found a software application that would do both screen captures and FTP uploads at regular intervals, but I need to tie up a computer to do this. The other problem I had was with the stupid web interface for viewing; not exactly the look you want to use for a cam web page. I eventually found a way to use media player as a plugin to play the steam. I found that information on a message board, not through Linksys support. The stream can be found at http://(your web cam's ip)/img/video.asf. Only works with IE.

Recently I upgraded my router from an old Linksys B to a new Belkin G+. All of my legacy equipment seems to work with it except for the webcam. It now only works while connected by Ethernet. I use to be a big believer in Linksys before my experience with this terrible product.

Reply to
Gregory Johnston

I tried you method of streaming the video from camera to computer. For me, I needed to add the port number to the address as below. http://(myIP):(myPort)/img/video.asfThe video started streaming into my computer but the dialog box had only the option to cancel or X to close. I believe it would have streamed until somehow I closed or canceled the dialog box. I only could see this dialog box and not the video. Problem is... where is the file on my computer. Box said "download to: temporary folder". After and while I was streaming I could not find the video file. It was not in any temp folder and searching for "all" files created today did find it. Seems like the file was never actually created because I had no way of stopping the stream gracefully.

Reply to
DanR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.