Linksys WUSB54GC wireless USB adapter make my Laptop Shut Down.

Hello everyone,

I wish someone could help me on this one.

I was using my wireless USB adapter on my HP PC without any problems. Adapter: Linksys WUSB54GC.

I decided to hook up my PC with a cat5 cable and transfert my USB Adapter on my girlfriend laptop

Laptop: Sony Vaio Laptop PCG-FRV25Q: Pentium 4 2.66Ghz

512Mg Ram 40 gigs HDD

When I'm using it on the Laptop the network connection works perfectly until the PC Shut down by itself but not a normal shutdown (wait while exiting windows...) but it looks more like a power failure. I'm working on it and 1 sec later it's off.

I'm sure that this is caused by the Linksys USB adapter because I've made almost 10 tests and when the USB adapter in not connect the laptop will stay on as long as I want.

As soon as the USB adapter is connect the Laptop shut down in less than 15 min.

I've look so see if their is any other driver: No I've look for similar problem on newsgroups: Found nothing...

Someone told me that it could be caused by the system not being able to handle the device in "sleep" or "standby" mode... I didn't really understood what he was saying.....

Anyway...

If someone could help me with this It would be really appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Samuel

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

I'll assume Windoze XP SP2 since you didn't mention an operating system. I happen to be using almost exactly the same setup but on a Dell SX-260. The traditional problem is overloading the USB port. It can only handle about 500ma per port. If you're using a USB hub, port expander, USB extenstion, or similar contrivance, try the WUBS54GC again plugged directly into the Sony USB port, probably using the supplied USB cable. Usually, overloading the port produces some kind of warning message on the screen. However, it's possible that her Sony works differently. Also, check that you have the latest WUSB54GC drivers installed.

One second shutdown is what happens when the laptop overheats or otherwise is overloaded.

Please select one of the following:

1. It shuts down by itself in 1 minute
  2. It shuts down by itself in 15 minutes.

Same here. I'll assume you have the latest driver. I'm more concerned if you have the latest BIOS for the PCG-FRV25Q. The BIOS largely controls power management. I think (not sure) that this is the right BIOS download:

Same with the USB drivers. I think Sony uses the stock Windoze USB drivers, but I'm not sure. Try the Sony driver download page at:

If you're using Vista or some other operating system, the above URL is wrong.

They must have been asleep when they suggested that.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.