Linksys WTR54GS (travel router) connection Problems

The evidence to the contrary was provided by the OP himself.

Reply to
Char Jackson
Loading thread data ...

Actually just the opposite:

and I will use the service in accordance with their Terms of Service. As far as I can tell no contract forbids the use of a WTR or RB-1132. Therefore since it is not against their rules - I'min the clear.

Or did you have something else in mind? (If so, I'll need a specific citation, not another vague reference.)

Reply to
John Navas

You've apparently either done some selective reading or simply haven't followed the entire thread. Either way it puts you at a severe disadvantage when it comes to evaluating the contents of the thread overall, but I'll try to help you catch up. If you can't see what's going on after (re)reading the following, then let's just agree to disagree.

If I'm at a hotel I don't want my team to have to pay for each connection - that adds up over the course of a quarter.

I've tried sharing my account info with the rest of my team. I'll be reading an article on CNN or something, click to the next page and I'm greeted with the logon page. But of course according to Johnny boy here I should shell out $15 per user "just because." I'm usre Johnny boy here is so rich he can burn money whenever he wants.

We are one customer - not ten.

Since $15 per user per day seems to be the de facto price int he US I'll give an example as to why I want to do this. Ten of us for a week. $15 * 7d * 10p = $1,050 or $15 * 7 = $105.

When the team was in the UK and Ireland I didn't handle the internet connection since I was the last to arrive. When I got there, each one of us rotated the account info. Person 1 used it from 5-6pm, dinner at 6-7pm I used it 7-8 etc.

I have no problem paying for something if its worth it. I however, despise being gauged by companies that think I don't have a choice. It is my responsibility as a consumer to find the fairest price for a service or product; it is the duty of the corporations and manufacturers to provide such services. Apparently I am not theonly person on the planet who thinks hotel internet policies are unfair since aforementioned corporations are producing various Internet sharing devices specifically designed for hotels. They are filling a demand for a product. Microsoft has ICS. Linksys had the WRT, not another company has the RB1132.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Neither, and with these insults you effectively concede the point. I didn't think so. Thanks for the confirmation.

Reply to
John Navas

I interpreted Justin's comments as indicating that there might be as many as 10 'people' total - team + 'support' - occupying some number of rooms which involved about 4 machines on the 'subnet'.

I think of teams as same-sex with 'several' say 2-4 occupying one room.

Maybe 10 people might be in 3-4 rooms - so the ethically debated 'savings' is about 1 connection fee instead of 3 or 4 rather than 10 as Justin was using to exaggerate his argument.

I don't find the ethical breach to be as great as some other forms of bandwidth theft - and I can see some practical considerations for the controller of the bridge/router to also control the less mature team members access to the internet while on the road. Lights out, TV off, no more internet tonight.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Yikes, don't give management any ideas! The last thing I want to do bunk with my boss. Ten people is the high end of the estimate. The last job we were on only took three of us. The next one will probably be five or six. I am one of five who volunteered for a job on long haul freighter ships.

No. Whoever controls the bridge will let people surf all night if they want. This isn't the Army.

Reply to
Justin

I was thinking of a different kind of team, such as a sports team rather than a work/job crew/team.

I see now.

I saw a website once which described which hotels/motel chains had 'good' policies about internet connectivity and which did not.

I have a friend who travels and who wants connectivity and who doesn't like to pay for it. He stays in expensive hotels and inexpensive ones and finds that expensive hotels tend to have the most outrageous policies and that inexpensive ones tend to have the best policies; but everything in between.

I think that whoever is booking the accommodations ought to use the m/hotels with good policies, not bad policies. There are lots with free connectivity.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Apology accepted.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Unfortunately no. Teams consist of various techs.

I agree. Sometimes we don't have control over where we stay. We had to go to Morocco - the place we stayed had a Mosque built into the side. Every morning their chanting woke my up. However, that was one of our mot productive project. I got more work done from 5am to 8am on that trip than I do at the home office 10am to noon. I wish I could go into detail as to what we do, but I signed a slip of paper that says I won't.

Reply to
Justin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.