LinkSys WRTG54 Problem w/ Pop & SMTP Access

I have the above-named router with the latest firmware installed. It works wonderfully for all wireless and wired stations on the network.

One problem: email access

From this location I get email from Outlook and Outlook Express from three different ISPs, including RoadRunner. After installing the router (which replaced a LinkSys BEFSR81) I can easily interface with two of the providers. There is one, however, which I cannot (hostmysite.com is the ISP). I receive time out messages from Outlook and Outlook Express on two different computers. If I remove the router and plug directly into the cable modem, the problem goes away. When I put the router back into the equation, I still have the same problem with just that one site.

I have tried replacing my mail server domain address with its IP address instead, but that didn't help at all. I have fiddled with the MTU settings, that didn't help either. I have turned off the anti-virus software and that doesn't do it.

I found a citation on Google for this same problem someone was having with CompuServe last year. There is a good deal of discussion on that page, but no resolution was reached except that I think the guy dumped CompuServe and went to another ISP.

I have spoked with HostmySite, LinkSys, Microsoft, and RoadRunner. They all point the finger at each other. I should say that HostmySite is still diligently working on this issue -- I'm not trying to knock them. The other three I'm not so happy with.

Any ideas or suggested solutions?

Thank you.

Reply to
The Walrus
Loading thread data ...

How desperate are you?

Your router, depending on the hardware version (version 4 and older works best) will support third party firmware such as dd-wrt or openwrt. Assuming your hardware is happy, it might be a fresh look on the software side that makes the problem go away.

formatting link

Version 4 and 5 of the wrt54g are a little different and this applies:

formatting link

Best Regards,

Reply to
Todd H.

I don't know about desperate, but I'm very hesitant to install 3rd party firmware when I can just take this back and trade it in for a Belkin or something. I saw that I have one of the "neutered" routers, version 6. I'm also hesitant because I don't even know if firmware is the answer here. Have you ever heard of a problem like this, and if so, was the third-party firmware the answer?

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
The Walrus

I've had my share of problems with folks getting to imap/smtp servers, but never anything nailed down to a problem with a linksys router (wireless or not). I think I'd bet a quarter that if the Linksys is fingered as the problem with a specific site though, that new firmware would have oh, PFA, at least a 50% shot of taking care of the issue. I'm trying to wrap my head around any hardware defectivity issue that could cause such a failure footprint. Firmware I could more likely see being finicky about minor protocol differences though.

Curious though, have you tried simply power cycling the router in these times of trouble? Does that help at all? I've had plenty of datapoints with routers of all flavors losing their mind or having connection tables fill up thanks to connection hungry p2p software running on the lan, or whatnot.

Yeah if it's in warranty, I'd go back and trade it for the WRTG54L (L=Linux = non-neutered) or if you wanna have fun with third party firmware for cheap, Buffalo WHR-G54S. Or either of em should just work.

Seems like one of those interesting/educational/maddening problems though!

Reply to
Todd H.

I've tried recycling power, starting over from scratch, rain dances, etc. I don't want to void the warranty by experimenting with third-party software.

The Geek Squad guys ran into a problem like this with a neighbor of mine. Their solution was to have the customer switch ISP's for email. I love those guys.

Reply to
The Walrus

If you're in warranty and can take it back, I totally agree with ya. If yer out of warranty and feelin experimental, I'd play.

Awesome.

That's a weird one for sure. Anyone have another router you can try out in its place?

Any possibility software firewalls are involved at all? They may behave differently given that a direct connection and a router connection would give different ip ranges.

Reply to
Todd H.

I'm veering off-topic here, but having long been in the IT business, it sure is good to see that nothing had changed in the world of technical support. Always pass the buck. LinkSys blames Microsoft, Microsoft blames Norton or McAfee, the ISP blames everyone else. Those Geek Squad guys charge 250 bills plus the hardware to install a wireless network with 2 connections. To pay that kind of money and to have them do something like that is a crime. Maybe I'm getting old, but I remember a day when you just couldn't get away that shit.

Reply to
The Walrus

Replaced the router with a LinkSys WRT54GS and still have the same problem. There is something about LinkSys and Hostmysite.com that makes them completely incompatible.

Reply to
The Walrus

We can't quite say that yet, but we do know your 2 new routers behaved identically.

For s**ts and giggles when you plug your wired BEFSR81 back in and are cabled in with a computer to the BEFSR81, does the problem with smtp/pop to hostmysite.com persist or go away? That unit used to work fine right?

Are the time out messages you get when trying to retrieve pop email? SMTP sending? Both? Are you connecting wireless, wired or both into the new wireless routers you're playing with?

Reply to
Todd H.

Yes, it works perfectly.

Both. The standard 60-second time out message from Outlook Express. I installed Forte Agent and it does the same thing. I've ruled out Outlook as the problem.

This problem affects both wired and wireless connections. I've tried every computer on the network.

I went ahead and installed the firmware update for the new WRT54GS router (1.52.0). It's a version 6.

LinkSys suggested port triggering. I'm waiting for them to point me to a document on how to do that. Hostmysite.com uses ports 25 and 110 for sending and receiving respectively.

The only good part about all of this is I now know how to install a 10-node wireless network in less than 30 minutes...

Reply to
The Walrus

So much for the Linksys = hosed idea. :-) Wonder what in the flyin f is going on with these wireless routers though.

Cool.

LOL. Awesome.

Intriguing. Hrmm...

Well, here's a shortcut to waiting on linksys

formatting link
scroll to port triggering and try setting that up.

So one hypothesis: Perhaps that one ISP is relying on ident before allowing communication, maybe your old wired router cheerfully answers on ident (as does a direct wired connection to the cable modem), and perhaps the new wireless routers have a default of ident refusing all connections? So setting this up to trigger on outbound tcp/25 or tcp/110 activity to allow tcp/113 to open up for the target might be the ticket?

Sounds just logical enough to work I suppose?

Be sure to post what you find out.

Reply to
Todd H.

The issue has been resolved. Hostmysite.com moved my account to a different email server. I connected immediately without any problem. I have asked them what the difference between the two servers is. I'll report back if I hear anything.

Thanks for helping me out.

Reply to
The Walrus

No prob. What a strange problem. Good that the webhost took it upon themselves to fix the issue though because a stock config wrt54g or gs is hardly a unique config by any stretch.

Reply to
Todd H.

Depending on what your other ISP's offer, I have one (earthlink) that allows me to create multiple (up to 8) mailboxes under the master account. I just do the smtp forward of any email sent to me at my various isp's that don't allow direct access when not on one of their native connections (roadrunner, adelphia, comcast are 3, non native is when traveling and using wifi/cellphone/other networks/etc), and even from other sources like hotmail/msn/my various domains etc.... Not only lets me get all of my email, but also however I happen to be connected when traveling (handy since I travel a lot for work, and carry a notebook with me)

Reply to
Peter Pan

I inquired as to what was different about the two mail servers, and the answer was they didn't know -- just that one was newer than the other. I really spun my wheels on this one, and I was right, the answer was simple, even though we don't really know what it is, which is about the norm for problem solving in this line of work.

Reply to
The Walrus

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:25:41 -0400, "The Walrus" wrote in :

Geek Squad folks are by and large utterly incompetent. I've spent considerable time cleaning up their messes.

Reply to
John Navas

I was out of IT for a while after the boom died down and I was doing some accounting work in an office a couple of years ago. On one of the PC's the NIC started to get flake out and could only get a 169.254.x.x address off of the internal NAT network. They brought in a Geek Squad guy and he spent two hours doing things like reinstalling the NIC, replacing the NIC, reinstalling the protocol stack, resetting the protocol stack, etc. etc. Finally he told them it would require an XP reinstall in repair mode or even starting over from scratch. They scheduled him back the next day for what would cost a couple of hundred bills or more. After the guy left, I sat down at the computer and picked a restore point from two days earlier and it was back up and running. I'm pretty sure my NT 4.0 MCSE has been retired by Microsoft, but I smoked the MCSE 2K on that one. :)

Reply to
The Walrus

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:32:28 -0400, "The Walrus" wrote in :

My own favorite is a friend that complained to me about terrible Internet speeds and frequent outages. This after Geek Squad had charged her over $200 for two visits plus over $50 for a new wireless router. What I found is that Geek Squad had configured her laptop to connect to a neighbor's Wi-Fi. She'd been paying for high-speed cable Internet for almost two years without actually using it. (Perish the thought Comcast should ask her why she had no traffic.) Took me less than five minutes to reconfigure her wireless, giving her fast, reliable Internet.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.