LINKSYS - WRT54GS Problems, Can't access the internet via LAN

I use a lan connection to connect to the internet. I wanted to share that connection between a desktop and laptop so i bought a LINKSYS WRT54GS. I plugged that LAN cable into that Internet Port of the ROUTER and did all the configuration but still can't access the internet. Can anyone please help me? It doesn't even works on the host computer...

Reply to
omariqbalnaru
Loading thread data ...

On 26 Jul 2006 11:53:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@inbox.com wrote in :

Is the WAN (Internet) side of the Linksys being configured properly? What IP address is it getting? Subnet mask? DNS servers? Gateway? What connects your LAN to the Internet?

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
omariqbalnaru

Reply to
omariqbalnaru

Then how did you get permission to do this? Many (most?) network admins would consider this a rogue access point and a serious security risk.

That issue aside, you can tell how the router is being configured by what gets displayed in the configuration interface.

Run IPCONFIG /ALL on a connected computer to get the other info I asked for, copying and pasting the exact output here.

My guess from what's probably going on is that you probably want to configure the WRT54GS as an access point, not as a router, as described in the HowTo wiki below. At the very least, this should give you the same kind of access you have now with your computer when wired. Whether or not you can add another wireless computer would depend on what kind of LAN security is in place.

Another option is to add a wireless client adapter to the (presumably wired) desktop computer (instead of the WRT54GS) ; create an Ad Hoc wireless network between the desktop and the laptop; and share the desktop Internet connection with the wireless laptop using Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop.

p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread

-- it's confusing, and considered a bit rude. Thanks.

On 26 Jul 2006 12:10:50 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@inbox.com" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Possibly. See the longer answer I just posted.

On 26 Jul 2006 12:51:04 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@inbox.com" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::4e00:10ff:fe38:3946%4 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

PPP adapter RAS Server (Dial In) Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.226 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%6 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.226%2 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%2 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

This i did while c> Then how did you get permission to do this? Many (most?) network admins

Reply to
omariqbalnaru

This output shows that your computer is behind a NAT router, so you definitely want to configure your WRT54GS as an access point, not a router. That's covered in

On 26 Jul 2006 13:01:50 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@inbox.com" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Is this a company / corporate / academic LAN? If so, you should ask your administrator for assistance - in many jurisdictions attaching your own unauthorised wireless devices to LANs you don't own is a /criminal/ offense and can certainly get you fired / suspended.

However: forget about the Internet port on your router, you don't neee it. Connect your PC and your existing LAN to the LAN ports on the router, turn off any DHCP server in the router, and give both it and the laptop fixed ip addresses in the 192.168.1.x range (but not ones used by any other computer on your lan - if you use one from another computer, you will break their connection and /definitely/ get in big trouble).

Even this may not work. Many company LANS assign IP addresses only to registered authorised hardware.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
omariqbalnaru

Configure the router with only one PC connected to it. It's also a good idea to change the default configuration of your other router. For a couple of reasons, one being avoiding hack attempts due to predictable defaults. But also to avoid precisely this problem you're having now from happening in the future. If all your devices are setup using DHCP this should be quite simple. So move the default router to a new subnet, renew your leases through it, reconfigure the new router, also moving it if necessary.

But if you're using the 2nd router as an access point, not as a router, then it goes on the same subnet, albeit with a different IP address. Then the 'main' router does all the DHCP and routing work.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Reply to
omariqbalnaru

Plug your existing LAN into the WAN input of the wap router, instead of just the router part... hould work fine (both wired and wirelessly) that way...

snipped-for-privacy@> I connected PC and my existing LAN to the LAN ports on the router. But

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
omariqbalnaru

Yes, you'd certainly be setting up a double-NAT situation. Surprisingly a lot of things work OK through this, and others can have their ports configured to pass as well. But in this particular case there's no need for that. When you plug a WRT54G from one of it's LAN ports to the LAN port of another one you're essentially adding it to the source router's network. If you 'dummy up' the second router (turn off DHCP and the like) then you've got yourself the equivalent of an access point. Or you could load the dd-wrt firmware on it and get a real access point, either solution works.

The trick being that in order to program the routers, and have them both on the SAME subnet, you'll have to configure them so they don't conflict with each other.

Err, wait a minute, is there more than one router in this setup? That is, you're currently getting internet from the wall via wired ethernet, right? That being the case then the above applies.

But as has been mentioned elsewhere, do you actually have permission to be doing this? Have you checked with whoever runs this network and confirmed that it's OK for you to go adding a wireless device to it? If you have then you better check with them FIRST. Adding a wifi router like this opens up security issues that whomever runs the network might be VERY concerned about. While it's nice to think you can just connect this harmless little box to the network and take care of your little problem, it may cause quite a few MORE problems, both for you and the network.

Otherwise, it's technically feasible to do exactly what you're asking and has been explained here in this thread (by myself and others) quite completely. If the instructions aren't clear then perhaps you shouldn't be mucking about with devices like this...

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Connected HOW? If you connect a PC to it, on a LAN port (not the WAN port) and it's been reset to factory values then you ought to be able to use your web browser to reconfigure it. A router set to factory defaults ought to come up on http://192.168.1.1 and automatically hand your PC a DHCP address. If it doesn't, then you could set your PC's IP address manually and an arp record to point to the router. But if the router's been reset to defaults you really shouldn't have to do any of that.

So, have you reset the router to defaults and connected via a LAN port? Try more than one LAN port and try more than one cable just in case there's something wrong with them. If none of them work then it'd sure sound like your router's got hardware problems.

As for 'accessing the internet', one step at a time. Get the routers configured properly FIRST and the internet connectivity will follow.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Plug the LAN into the WAN port, and from the #1 port on the wap/router, plug to your PC (config by wire is usually on port #1), then when you do the config thing (192.168.1.1) , just turn OFF the DHCP server, and in config, just make it a router only (ie it asks if you want it to be a server, a router, or a server and a router... say router only)... IE PC was plugged into the lan, take that wire, plug it into the wan input, and the cable in the wap/router box goes from port one of the wap/router to your pc..

snipped-for-privacy@> Do you mean to plug my LAN into the WAN input of the router and then

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
omariqbalnaru

On 27 Jul 2006 22:02:53 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@inbox.com" wrote in :

That's not what I posted.

Reply to
John Navas

That's all for a start and to get it working.. As some other people have said you may have restrictions by IT, and that will allow a totally open node which most IT people frown on... But at least it should get things working... PS On your main config screen, a little ways down is the field "DHCP Server" then a clickbox for enable and disable... Select disable...

snipped-for-privacy@> Thanks to all for your help. I have understood so far that what i have

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.