Linksys WRT54GS

Hi all;

I have one dsl modem and a linksys WRT54GS wireless speedbooster router. My problem is i am running on DHCP and not using PPPOE or PPPOA and once i configure the dsl modem and wireless router they worked fine like 5 min then dropped i used firmware upgrade as well but i am doing sth wrong. Should i close DHCP on DSL modem and use wireless router as DHCP? or shud DHCP open on dsl modem and on linksys? if modems ip is

192.168.1.1 and wireless routers ip shud be 192.168.1.100? any one can tell me how to configure this greatly appreciated thank you.
Reply to
cahitansaroglu
Loading thread data ...

I had the WRT54G v5 router and had nothing but problems with it. The only thing I can suggest trying is trying to set everything up with static ip addresses and see if that helps. I sat on tech support with Linksys "INDIA" for hours and they never could get things straight. They kept blaming it on my cable modem which by the way has been hooked up to a el cheapo netgear router ever since with no troubles what so ever. I finaly just got rid of mine and opted to use the netgear. Im getting a WRT54GL now and am going to be playing with that. If it gives me the same types of problems I will never buy a Linksys again.

Reply to
Dave

I dont think it is the routers fault.

Setting up the modem correctly to pass on its IP address to the router is probably what is needed.

Reply to
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Instead of asking how it should be, it would be nice if you would disclose what you're getting? My guess is you're having trouble because the DHCP server in your DSL modem is assigning an IP address to the WRT54GS that is in the same class C IP block 192.168.1.xxx on both the WAN and LAN ports of the router. That won't work.

My guess(tm) is that you have an Siemens SpeedStream 5100, 4100, or

4200 DSL modem. These come from some ISP's with DHCP and NAT enabled thus insuring that you have an ordeal process if you're using a router. I think they consider it a features. I consider it a PITA.

You're IP in the headers shows you're at: 212.174.238.1 PTR record: mc5001.maya.net.tr in Turkey. I have no idea how they handle DSL in Turkey.

If you have one of these modem:

1. Record the modem IP address.
    formatting link
    it on a piece of paper attached to the modem. When you change to bridging, you will lose the DHCP assigned IP address for you're computer and will need to manually configure a client computer to do furthur configuration. There is no reset button so you have to do this correctly. If it you change the modem IP address, it is difficult to deduce it later. The default IP varies with DSL ISP if they supplied the modem.
  2. Disable the DHCP and NAT in the DSL modem by reconfiguring the modem's "PPP location" to "bridged mode". See:
    formatting link
    the setting.
  3. Setup the PPPoE, DHCP, or whatever login in the WRT54GS WAN connection page. It should work.
  4. When you look at the status page on the WRT54GS, the WAN side should show a routeable IP address (not 192.168.xxx.xxx), while the LAN side should probably be 192.168.1.1.

For more detailed instructions, see:

formatting link
your DSL modem is NOT a Speedstream 5100, 4100, or 4200, disregard the above, and kindly disclose the maker and model number of your DSL modem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Or you could use a belkin wireless router. Watch out for phones that are 2.4 ghz. The bigger the house the mimo it should get.

Reply to
Nova011

Belkin routers are no configuration for dsl.. unlike linksys, netgear, would need to configure router /or wireless router for dsl.. and yes it has to be PPPoE for dsl if you use linksys or netgear. But so you wont go through this problem, just buy a belkin wireless router and start netting. If you notice your phone getting disconnected. Change your phones to 5.8. MIMO MIMO MIMO is here and use it.

Reply to
Nova011

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.