Linksys WRT54GC dropping wireless connections

I just bought a Linksys WRT54GC about 2 weeks ago. I have a desktop PC connected directly to one of the ports on the router, and then I use a laptop that connects to it via wireless.

I've been having problems where the laptop will lose its wireless connection to the router. I know it's the router that's the issue (as opposed to my internet connection) by doing a ping to the router, and getting a request timeout. This usually happens for intervals of 15 seconds to 2 minutes, then the connection is established again. It will go for long periods working fine, however.

More tests: - Seems to be a wireless issue, as I also ping the router from my desktop (wired connection) and never lose site to the router, even when I'm getting request timeouts from my laptop

- I thought perhaps it was my Type B - wireless adapter on the laptop, but I had 3 laptops connected wirelessly on the network a few days ago, and all 3 lost connection at the same time.

- The laptop is 3 ft away from the router, so I don't think this is purely a range issue. However, I guess I can't rule out some sort of interference.

I don't have any security/encryption set up, other than the router only hands out IP addresses to a set of MAC addresses stored on it. I have the latest firmware (version 1.02.8) installed on the router.

Does anyone have any ideas on this, or have they seen the same thing?

Thanks! Randall.

Reply to
rpmrpm
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Sounds like radio interference. See the FAQ below.

Reply to
John Navas

John,

I read the faq on interference, and it sounds like it might be the case. I have a bluetooth wireless mouse that I use within 3 feet of the router, perhaps he's the culprit.

I switched channels on the unit and haven't had any problems for a couple of hours, which gives me confidence that I've found a solution.

Thanks for the reply and the info

Randall.

Reply to
rpmrpm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.