Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS version number?

I am shopping for a WRT54GS wireless-G router. On Linksys support download site there are firmware for different versions of WRT54G and WRT54GS. For the former there are eight, ranging from V1.0 to V5.0; for the latter there are four, ranging from V1.0 to V4.0. I checked all boxes at retail shops (CompUSA, Office Depot), none of them have version info on the box. I also checked product specs at Newegg.com, Amazon.com, etc. Again no mentioning of any version number. I contacted Linksys Tech Support and was told that unless mentioned, the product is V1.0.

My question is: are all current retail version of WRT54G and WRT54GS V1.0? And where can I purchase the latest release? Thanks.

Reply to
Insomniac
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Box may not show ver. No. Mine(WRT54G) is 3 and it's shown on a sticker on the bottom of router. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Check on

formatting link
for all the details, you can determine the hardware revision from the serial number, buying online is a crapshoot. That said, the (five?) WRT54G routers I've bought in the last month from NewEgg have been V4.

That was a particularly stupid thing for them to have said. They haven't built a V1.0 in several years now. Current production appears to be V5, but most online stock is V4, IME.

Unless you don't care about aftermarket firmware, don't buy the V5, as it's no longer open source. I'd stay away from the V5 anyway till the reviews come in, it's entirely possible it'll be buggy and problematic for at least the first few months of it's lifetime.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I'm sure I read somewhere that the G model has more firmware available, especially 3rd party stuff with additional features. I bought mine 8 months ago and got a V2. I love it.

Reply to
__spc__

First, find the Linksys sticker on the bottom of your router. Find the serial number and most importantly the first 4 letters of it.

Secondly, look below to find your hardware version.

CDF0 = WRT54G v1.0 CDF1 = WRT54G v1.0 CDF2 = WRT54G v1.1 CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1 CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0 CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2 CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0 CDF9 = WRT54G v3.1 CDFA = WRT54G v4.0

CGN0 = WRT54GS v1.0 CGN1 = WRT54GS v1.0 CGN2 = WRT54GS v1.1 CGN3 = WRT54GS v2.0 CGN4 = WRT54GS v2.1 CGN5 = WRT54GS v3.0 CGN6 = WRT54GS v4.0

SJH0 = WTR54GS v1.0

formatting link

Reply to
WRC

CDFB = WRT54G v5.0

formatting link
?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9209

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.