Linksys WRT54G with WPA: guest access?

Suppose someone comes to visit and brings a notebook computer with wireless capability. Is there any method of enabling my visitor to gain temporary wireless access with providing my WPA password?

Reply to
Z Man
Loading thread data ...

There is not currently a way to do that. The dd-wrt drivers in version

24 may include a capability to set up multiple virtual wireless lans, where one wireless lan would be your internal lan protected by WPA, etc., while another wireless lan could be open, but isolated from your LAN.

Absent something like that, you will need to give your visitor your shared key (and change it after the visitor leaves).

Reply to
Jerry Park

"Z Man" hath wroth:

I agree with the others. The easiest way would be to just disclose the WPA pass phrase and change it later.

However, if you really want to control access the right way, you can setup WPA-RADIUS with an external RADIUS server for authentication. This would contain a list of user names, passwords, and settings for each user. You can turn them on and off at will by simply editing the database. One of the side benifits is that you no long have to inscribe a long and hideous WPA pass phrase as the RADIUS server issues those on the fly.

It is also possible to authenticate over the internet with a RADIUS server provided by an ISP or vendor. For example, Linksys Wireless Guard for $5/month: |

formatting link
If your WRT54G is running anything except the stock Linksys firmware, then you can install a small RADIUS server in the router. |
formatting link
suggest dd-wrt firmware: |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What about typing it in for them? Assuming they are using the Windows manager, they can't see the passphrase. [Dunno if it's easy to dig the passphrase out of (say) the registry, but most folks won't know how to do that.]

OTOH, if you want them to stop having access when they leave, you'll have to change the password anyway...

Alternate firmwares can apparently do some of that, but how about just setting up another router for guest use? They are pretty cheap...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

What's the issue with providing your WPA phrase and then changing it afterwards?

Reply to
David Taylor

I suppose that's what I could do. Alternatively, I have seen routers (don't recall which brand or model) that say you can set up a 'hot spot'. I could buy one of those if it becomes sufficiently important.

Reply to
Z Man

formatting link

You can also look at

formatting link
They provide a free external RADIUS service and I use it in my own wireless setup. Fairly easy to configure too...

Reply to
Fman99

Interesting idea, different 'nets' within the router. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised it hasn't already been done. (note this is not an attack on the developers, just surprised it wasn't higher on the to-do list)

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.