Linksys wrt54g-wet54g-wap54g incompatable

At our campgorund I have a WET54G with a directional antenna connected to it, and a WAP54G connected to it via the Ethernet cable. I am able to connect to the campgrounds wireless with a 100% signal at 54Mbps via the bridge/antenna, and the same in our trailer to the WAP54G achieving download speeds up to 2 Mgps.

The campground service is a external pay service, so I offered to give him a spare WRT54G so he could offer free Wifi to folks. Only problem is that when we swap out the original router with the Linksys, I cannot connect in the trailer. If I plug my laptop into the WET54G I can obtain an IP address but it takes a long time - much much longer than normal. I can connect to the WRT54G via wireless from the laptop with no issue. It appears that maybe the WAP54G is timing out looking for an IP address before the WRT54G has provided it.

I also tried this at home using the neighbors WRT54G as the source and had the same issue.

There seems to be a mis-match between the linksys gear. I'd rather not go out an buy another brand router - any thoughts? Bob & Geri snipped-for-privacy@rbhayes.net

formatting link

Reply to
Bob & Geri
Loading thread data ...

Bob & Geri hath wroth:

I read this that you're using the WET54G and the WAP54G as client radios to connect to whatever the campground is using. What are they using for hardware?

Which pay service? Many of these (Bonigo, Waypoint, etc) lock in their hardware to prevent wire tapping. The MAC address of the pay service supplied router is registered with their server and will not work with a replacement.

Cannot connect to the WRT54G or cannot connect to the internet? One step at a time. Can you get to the router setup screen at

192.168.1.1?

Which box is supplying the IP addresses? Are they coming from the pay service router or are they coming from your WRT54G? Is there any address overlap. There are so many ways to do this wrong that I don't even know where to start offering things to check. It could be setup, interference, encryption issues, typo errors, wiring errors, assumptions, conflicts with the pay service system, authentication with the pay service, multiple DHCP servers, etc.

Let me guess.... The IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx ???? Run: start -> run -> cmd ipconfig and see what IP address you're getting. If it's 169.254.xxx.xxx, then you're not getting a DHCP assigned IP address.

How can you connect to the WRT54G? With a CAT5 cable or via wireless? Does that mean you can connect to the router (as in seeing the

192.168.1.1 setup page) or to the internet?

Nope. You're just not getting an IP address.

Same issue as in inability to connect, to see the 192.168.1.1 web page, get an IP address, or surf the internet?

No thoughts. I don't think you can just "replace" the pay service router. I'm sure they have some level of security installed depending on whether its Joe's Coffee Shop Wireless Service or a large commerical hotspot service. You might be able to add the WRT54G to it setup as an access point or router, but that will depend on how the existing pay service router is setup.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes - I am connecting to the Campgroud router with the WET54G bridge to the WAP54G AP. This all works fine.

WiConnect is the service, but this all works fine. I can connect to the current service with no issue. The campground owner actually supplies and pays for the cable modem connection. His goal is to provide WiFi to the campground for free - hence my desire to make sure it works well.

When I point the WET54G bridge to the WRT54G and connect using the correct SSID, I cannot obtain an IP address from the WRT54G router. When I have the WET54G bridge pointed to the current campground router it works just fine.

I am trying to have the WRT54G router provide the IP address via teh WET54G bridge/WAP54G AP setup. In this setup with the 3 Linksys products, I cannot obtain an IP address when I connect to the WAP54G AP. If I point my laptop via the wireless card directly to the WRT54G router I get an IP address with no problem. If I connect the laptop to the WRT54g router via an ethernet cable I also have no problem.

Is there any

No to all of the above - I am proficient at conecting to differant Wireless nets.

No - The address is correct - I obtain an address of 192.168.1.211 (I have the starting range configured this way. If I connect to the WRT54G router with my laptop either via wireless or ethernet, I connect and recieve an IP address in @ 10 seconds.

When the WET54g is pointed at the current campground router, I recieve an IP address is the same timeframe either connected to the bridge via ethernet, or to the WAP54G AP via wireless (after it is connected to the WET54g bridge.

When I point the WET54G bridge to the WRT54g router, it takes up to a minute to connect and obtain an IP address. When I connect the WAP54G bridge to the WET54G bridge via ethernet and I try to connect to the WAP54G with my laptop , I obtain a 100% signal, but fail to obtain an IP address.

either way works

Both - obviously to connect to the Internet I need to unplug the current campground router from the cable modem and plug the WRT54G into the cable modem.

Inability to obtain an IP address when the bridge is pointed to the router.

I can - as I indicated above - the pay service router plugs into the cable modem that the campground owner pays from. I have already testing doing that and connecting to the WRT54G via wireless and have no problem getting an IP address and access to the Internet. Unfortuantly due to the location of the modem/router at the far end of the campground it is too far away to use by itself. Bob & Geri snipped-for-privacy@rbhayes.net

formatting link

Reply to
Bob & Geri

At one location I have this setup.

WRT54G Version 4 with an external antenna attached. WET54G pointed to the WRT54G WAP54G wired to the WET54G

Wireless clients connected to the WAP54G can pull an IP address from the WRT54G no problem. Actually it works very well.

I have static IP addresses assigned to all three linksys products and the WAP54G has its own ssid.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Ian - you appear to have working together what will not for me in the same setup. Do you know what version of firmware each unit has?

"Ian" wrote:

Bob & Geri snipped-for-privacy@rbhayes.net

formatting link

Reply to
Bob & Geri

I just checked the router remotely, it is version 4 firmware 4.20.6 I know the bridge is version 2 with the latest firmware Access point I'm not sure. I can check on that when I'm there this weekend and will post back with the info.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Issue resolved by upgrading the WRT54Gv5 to

Firmmware Version 1.00.9 May 12, 2006

and the WET54Gv3.1 to

Firmware Version V2.07 Jun 30, 2006

"Ian" wrote:

Bob & Geri snipped-for-privacy@rbhayes.net

formatting link

Reply to
Bob & Geri

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.