Linksys WRT54G vs. WRT54G2

I've got a 6 year old Linksys BEFW11S4 router that has been giving me trouble and I'm thinking of replacing it with either a WRT54G or WRT54G2 router. The WRT54G2 router seems to be about $10 cheaper but other than that, what is the difference?

Reply to
Bob L
Loading thread data ...

eWaste and good riddance (as I upgrade the firmware on a BEFW11S4 v4). Sigh.

Look at the setups:

I did a fast side by side comparison between corresponding pages and couldn't see any difference. The software controllable features look identical.

Non replaceable internal antenna. That would kill it for me. Limited RAM. DD-WRT doesn't work with G2.

FCC data on the G2 (Q87-WRT54G2V1):

(See internal photos).

I would go with the WRT54G which at least has removable antennas.

Incidentally, both the G, G2, GS, etc all have switched ports, not hub repeaters.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't know the difference between a hub and a switch. Would the WRT54G2 work like the BEFW11S4 does on my 4 computer wireless network?

Reply to
Bob L

Wrongo. See chart at bottom of:

and:

The early WRT54G v1 and v2 used a ADMtek ADM6996L, which is an ethernet switch chip. The others use a BCM5325EKQM or BCM5352EKBP which are also both switch chips.

I don't recall any wireless router, even back to the stone age, that ever had a built in hub (repeater). It wouldn't make sense as 5th port on the ethernet chip goes to the wireless bridge section (access point section). With a hub, there would be no isolation between the ethernet ports and the wireless. Any packet that goes into the hub section, would also get repeated out the wireless section. The only way to prevent such excessive traffic is to isolate the ports by MAC address, which is how a switch works.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So the official Linksys web page description must be wrong.

Reply to
DTC

No it's correct, a switch.

formatting link

Reply to
Pen

If so, it won't be the first time that someone has muddled hubs, repeaters, switches, brouters, dual speed hubs, and such. I don't see anything on the WRT54G page that says hub:

except "Connect four PCs directly, or daisy-chain out to more hubs and switches to create as big a network as you need"

Did you catch my explanation as to why a wireless router cannot possibly use a hub (repeater)? With a hub, there's no MAC layer isolation between ports. Everything that goes in one port, comes out ALL the others including the wireless. That will generate lots of excess traffic.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oops. (engaging brain before typing this time). I'm wrong.

It is possible to conglomerate a hub into a wireless router. The wireless access point section is a bridge, also known as a 2 port switch. A hub can be added to that. That will generate the usual excessive LAN traffic between the various hub ports, but the bridge/switch will prevent excess traffic from belching over the wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Nope...its the WiFi that is frying your brain... heh heh heh

Reply to
DTC

The WRT54G has a 4-port hub. The WRT54GS has a 4-port switch.

Reply to
DTC

Go with the WRT54G

Reply to
DTC

Self Correcting Liebermann.

I approve of this mod. Keep up the development Jeff.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

To err is human. I occasionally need reassurance that I'm still human.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I do believe that DD-WRT micro version works with the G2. At least according to:

formatting link

Reply to
jch

formatting link
Nevermind - I further see from the link above this is a WIP and as such is not currently supported by DD-WRT. I wouldn't get the G2 anyway because of the internal antenna but I at least thought the firmware could be upgraded. That is not the case however as evidenced by this link:
formatting link

Reply to
jch

formatting link

It appears that the problem is the lack of a VxWorks killer to allow loading a new firmware image. Apparently, someone is working on it. (See bottom of page 5 of the above thread). Even so, the best that can be done will be the micro version, due to lack of memory. That's is good for a client radio (wireless ethernet bridge) or repeater but not much else:

However, I agree. The lack of external antennas makes the WRT54G2 a nice paperweight.

Drivel: I'm probably showing my age, but every time I look at the WRT54G2 squat rounded black box, I think of the 1950's Steve McQueen sci-fi movie, "The Blob":

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

The G2 is now supported by DD-WRT:-

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.