Linksys WRT54G vs Linksys WRT54GS

Is the WRT54GS worth the extra $20? I Will be using it to connect to my main pc with cable and my notebook wireless.

Randy

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Randy
Loading thread data ...

Only if your notebook supports the Linksys speedbooster, which is a proprietary format. Otherwise it's pointless with just the 2 devices as it won't help the desktop,

Reply to
Pen

Randy hath wroth:

Maybe. If you're going to use alternative firmware (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, etc), *AND* you're going to add some extra programs, then the extra memory found on some hardware versions of the GS variety is worth the extra money. The highest version number that had extra RAM and FLASH was v3.0.

formatting link
108Mbit/sec speed boost feature is only useful with compatible wireless client cards and only works at fairly short range. It might be useful for local gaming and local PC to laptop file transfers, but not much else.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank-you for the quick reply. The notebook is an HP nx6125 which I don't believe has speedbooster support.

Randy

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Randy

Yes, but it has nothing to do with the proprietary Speed Boost. I'll try to find the comparisons. You might try

formatting link

As I recall, the WRT54G can only really support up to five users after all is said and done.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

decaturtxcowboy hath wroth:

About 8 users for v5 router only, mostly due to lack of RAM for table space and buffers. The versions with more RAM do better. See: |

formatting link
see Table 1 at: |
formatting link
test bombed at below 16 users on the V5 and somewhere over 64 users for the WRT54GL. I ran tests on the WRT54G v3.0 with stock firmware many years ago and maxed out at 150 users (after tweaking the firmware).

The alternative firmware does much better and is adjustable with the "Max Connections" variable. A small number of connections yields a faster router. A large number (>1000) works better for Bitorrent and P2P.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:17:46 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Sounds like poor programming to me.

Depends on the particular P2P (which includes BitTorrent) application and its configuration.

For example, Azureus (one of the best BitTorrent clients) opens a global maximum of 250 connections by default (with a maximum of 50 connections per torrent by default).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.