linksys wrt54g problem

I have an XP desktop, at&t yahoo dsl service, and aol for "bring your own service". I set up a linksys wireless router so I could also access the internet with my dell laptop runnning XP media center addition. The dsl cable goes into my modem and then I have cables running from modem to router to desktop. Everything worked fine until I attempted to add a wireless HP Deskjet 6980 into the mix. The instructions said to push the Secure Easy Setup button on the router and then push the wireless button on the printer. This didn't work so I next tried connecting the router and the printer directly with an ethernet cable. The printer was then recognized by cable, but it still could be found wirelessly.

It was at this point that I realized I had lost my ability to connect to the internet on both my desktop and laptop. A friend suggested going into "network connections", right clicking on the local area connection and clicking repair. This worked briefly and quit. When I try to repair again, it says it can't. When I tried this same thing on my laptop, I got a windows error about conflicting IP addresses, and the wireless connection appears to continuously disconnect and reconnect. The power light on the router flashes continuously.

I've resigned myself to connecting the dsl directly to my desktop. At least I can get the connection to work this way, but I can't use my laptop wirelessly then.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
stat1995
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.