Linksys WRT54G intermittent problems when used with DLink DSL-502T

Hi,

SUMMARY: Internet connection hangs when loading webpages when using Linksys WRT54G v5.0 - works fine when connected directly through Dlink modem.

I'm experiencing intermittent problems with my Internet connection. Sometimes pages fail to load (timeout while still trying to connect to the site), or hang (annoyingly) whilst loading. Sometimes I am unable to access the router's set up page (via 10.1.1.100, the router's IP address), or the set up page hangs while loading.

TESTING ALREADY PERFORMED: The Internet is lightning fast and has no problems when connected directly via my ADSL Modem. When connected via the router, my PC does get an IP address (obtained via the router's DHCP), and all DNS settings appear correct on the router's set up page. Strangely, at the times when I can't access the router's set up page, I can successfully ping the router on the IP I'm trying to connect to! I'm directly connected to the router via CAT 5 cable.

FURTHER SET UP DETAILS: I am using a Dlink DSL-502T to provide the Internet connection (ADSL2+, 18Mbps sync speed). The Dlink modem is in bridge mode, and the Linksys router is in PPPoE mode, and authenticates fine.

I've posted this question here also

formatting link
.You guys are my last hope! Could the Linksys router by faulty? Or is there something else I should try?

Thank you! Roy

Reply to
Waldo
Loading thread data ...

Hi again,

I'll give you an update. Two things have happened.

1) I had set the modem/router and router to use the same IP address range (10.1.1.x) - silly me 2) linksys.com.au (the australian site) listed 1.00.6 as the latest firmware. linksys.com listed 1.01.1 - silly Linksys

Presumably fixing the above 2 things will solve the problem. Hopefully this post will help someone avoid the same mistake and/or annoyance with Linksys.

Cheers, Roy

usingLinksysWRT54Gv5.0 - works fine when connected directly through Dlink

noproblemswhen connected directly via my ADSL Modem. When connected via

Reply to
Waldo

hi.. i have a wrt54g V.5 with the same problem, i upgrade the FW to

1.01.1 versi> Hi again,

Reply to
omar.palma

Hi,

Well, looks like I'm still having problems. Occasionally the router drops out completely, i.e. wireless goes down, wired goes down as well, can't even ping the router - but the lights on the front panel look normal, and a restart of the router seems to get it up and running again.

This really isn't acceptable, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
Waldo

Are you running any peer-to-peer filesharing? The many connections they open can make low-end routers fall over and die. If so, trying limiting the number of connections.

On 29 Jan 2007 20:04:31 -0800, "Waldo" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion, but no, I'm not running any peer-to-peer filesharing.

Any other ideas? Roy

Reply to
Waldo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.