Linksys WRT54G and hp wlan 54g w450

I set up a Linksys wireless router, model WRT54G. Wife's PC is hooked up via an ethernet cable; I hooked up my PC via a Linksys wireless network card I purchased to match the WRT54G.

My HP Pavilion ze4500 laptop has a wireless card, ostensibly with both 11b and 54g networking capabilities. (Card is called "hp wlan 54g w450".)But when I type the network key into the security authoritzation field, it fails to connect to the Linksys router. The Linksys has "Secure Easy Setup", some kind of WPA encryption; whereas there's nothing in the connection properties box for the notebook card other than WEP mentioned.

Any suggestions? I'd like to just be able to install software and use the network card already on the PC. Not sure if I can change the network card itself; user's guide says "Mini PCI cover (no user parts inside)".

TIA,

S
Reply to
sinister
Loading thread data ...

For WPA, makes sure that you have XP SP2 installed.

Reply to
__spc__

Sweet! That was *exactly* the problem.

Thanks a million!

Cheers,

S

Reply to
sinister

NP - Also, if you're not running any b-appliances, set the router to g-only.

Reply to
__spc__

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.