Linksys WRT54G and 2.4G telephones.

That's 50% true. However, the handset and the computer can't be in the same area either. That means that yacking on the wireless phone at the same time as you're pounding on your wireless laptop is not going to work.

Different models have different problems. If it's an FM 2.4GHz (non-spread spectrum) type of phone, it will probably work just fine in the same room as the WRT54G. If it's a DSSS (direct sequence spread spectrum) cordless phone, then it will slow down the wireless, but not kill it. If it's a FHSS (frequency hopping spread spectrum) cordless phone, it will kill the wireless. Since you didn't bother specifying the maker and model number of your phone, I can't offer any additional guesswork.

Well, up until about a month ago, I would have said that they only interfere when being used. My Panasonic GigaRange KX-TG2257 2.4GHz phone is probably DSSS and only causes problems when I'm yacking on the phone. However, there has been one report in this newsgroup that there are some models where the phone base constantly transmits, even when there is no phone conversation. I'm not sure I believe this, but it is possible.

Standard answer: Try it and see if it works. If there's a problem, it will be obvious.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Newbie predicament: I've been offered a Linksys WRT54G system for free, but I just upgraded my

2.4g phone system to 8 handsets. I know they are supposed to interfere with each other but was told it would work ok as long as the router and the phone base unit (and handset?) weren't in the same room. Anyone have any advise on the issue? It would be prohibitively expensive to replace the phones. Do they interfere simply by being powered up, or only when a call comes in (or goes out)?

TIA.

Reply to
a.draper

i got a wrt54g and some panasonic 2.4ghz phones

occasionally when a call is coming in or being placed my wireless connection dies about 10% of the time

because the phone will use the same channel the router is using.occasionally

Reply to
Karum Rickheart

Sorry I left out pertinent info. The base unit is a Uniden model DCX5285, the handsets are Uniden model DCT520. It is a DSS (Digital Spread Spectrum)per the spec sheet, nothing about DSSS.

Reply to
a.draper

Just downloaded the manual. It's a Frequency Hopper. That seems to kill the whole plan.

Reply to
a.draper

Typo error. It's a DCT5285. DSS is the buzzword invented by the industry to hide the technology behind the device. One would not want to "confuse" the consumer. If it says frequency hopper, it probably clobbers the entire 2.4Ghz band. I still think it's worth trying to see how bad it is. It just might be tolerable. However, with 8 phones scattered around the house, finding an optimum location for the WRT54G is going to be a problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Definately worth trying for a couple of reasons. One the frequency band that is used is not exactly the same between the two systems, two, I have 4 handsets and WiFi and suffer no problems. Furthermore my previous BT set did not interfer nor does my brothers system interfer.

Keep your receipts and open the boxes carefully with ripping them, but give it a go

Tony

Reply to
Tony Field

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.