Linksys WRT54G

It's one of the best I've had, second only to my Ciscos. I've had several Netgears, an Actiontec (piece of crap), a Westell (excellent DSL modem/router), a few Belkins (also piece of crap). I have two WRT54G routers, and love them.

Reply to
Ook
Loading thread data ...

Like everything, it all depends on what you expect it to do.

If you happen to know anything at all about unix systems, you might just really love a WRT54G. It's a little 200Mhz MIPS cpu running a Linux 2.4 kernel. Linksys didn't help much, but because it is a GPL'd OS they had to release the source code to the firmware, and now you can get 2 or 3 different third party firmware releases which allow all sorts of fun things to be done. And the more you know about unix systems admin, the more you can do with it.

That said, they are inexpensive new and cost even less if you take the risk and buy a used one on eBay. I picked up a couple of them for $80 total, delivered (about the same cost as a brand new one purchased locally). I had two of them already, but they are dedicated and I wanted two more just to play with... :-)

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Im thinking of purchasing a Linksys WRT54G, any opinions about this router? thanks.

Reply to
tzar

I got one as well for only 69 Euros (=60 dollars). It's a very good product and on the web you'll find a lot of information about it. I installed the Hyper software as well.

Regards Henry, Alphen aan den Rijn Netherlands

Reply to
Henry en Tine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.