Linksys WRT4GL Help

I'm trying to help a friend with his Linksys WRT4GL router. He got it working himself, but then the power was turned off in our neighborhood for a couple of hours and it won't work now. It's on, it says the internet is working, and I can connect to it wirelessly or through the ethernet port, but it neither sends or receives any packets and I can't access the internet or the browser-based configuration utility.

I'd appreciate it if someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thank you, Trevor

Reply to
trevordixon
Loading thread data ...

What do you mean by "I can connect to it...."? Connect to what? You say you can't access the Internet or the configuration utility.

Anyway, I suppose the router is connected to a cable modem or a DSL modem for Internet access. Sometimes these setups can be touchy. Try disconnecting the power to the modem and the router and all computers connected to the router. Wait about 2 minutes, then power up the modem and let it connect to the ISP. Wait about two more minurtes then power up the router and let it establish communications with the modem. Wait about two more minutes then power up the computer connected to an ethernet port. Let the computer completely finish starting up, no more hard drive activity. Then try to connect to the Internet.

And you may also want to reset the router to factory defaults after it is powered up. And almost any time you do a router reset or a modem reset, re-boot the computer.

Good luck, jimbo

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
jimbo

I'm not familiar with the WRT54GL, I have a WRT54GS.

Try a hard reset. This will return the router to factory settings. There's a small, recessed button on the back of the router. Using a pencil or paper clip, depress the button for about 5 seconds then release.

Lance

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com thought carefully and wrote on 1/8/2006 6:19 PM:

Reply to
Lance

On your computer, instead of DHCP give your wired netowrk adapter a fixed IP (this is just to see if you can get things going again) say 192.168.1.75 net mask of 255.255.255.0. Note this will not let you get to the internet because we don't have a gateway, but when fixing is done, redo the network adapter back to DHCP. But for now, see if you can now contact the router?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.