Linksys WRT300N - Sept 2008

Hi I've had more than enough trouble from my 2 Linksys WRT300N Wireless Routers. The following link to the linksys forum site

formatting link
the details.

Has anyone solved the problems with the router or have you got your money back?

Brian

Reply to
BrianKBC
Loading thread data ...

Looks like they deleted your message. I guess if all the big box stores get back these units and they don't re-order, then, that's a kind of recall. Wishfull thinking! Return it to where you bought it as soon as you can.

Rich in Texas

formatting link
provides the details.

Reply to
Rich Klestinez

I bought one about 8 months ago. I found that I got no better distance with an N card in a laptop than non N. routers. Im not that impressed. I have had others who have had problems accessing it. I think ?? i checked the bios which is 1.1 and there is no upgrades as of yet. It would be nice to improve it since, well I own it and dont want to buy another.

steve

Reply to
steve

did the box say up 4x 6x 8x 12x etc times the range? the words "up to" are weasel words, usually there is absolutely no difference in range, but people buy it cuz they see up to nnX times the range (where the nn keeeps getting bigger, no change, just got to put a bigger number on the box so people buy it).. wonder why they don't just print up to one zillion times the range and be done with it.....

on to the bright side tho, forgetting all the other stuff, it does handle power glitches better (handy in thunderstorm season) :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Type N is all about speed, in practice there is no significant improvement in range.

Reply to
DTC

I th "Start a Wireless Network With Up To 4X the Range and 12X the Speed!"

"The Access Point built into the Router uses the very latest wireless networking technology, Wireless-N (draft 802.11n). By overlaying the signals of multiple radios, Wireless-N's "Multiple In, Multiple Out" (MIMO) technology multiplies the effective data rate. Unlike ordinary wireless networking technologies that are confused by signal reflections, MIMO actually uses these reflections to increase the range and reduce "dead spots" in the wireless coverage area. The robust signal travels farther, maintaining wireless connections up to

4 times farther than standard Wireless-G. "

I suppose that this is only in a perfect environment. I was expexting eg if the distance was 50 feet now it should be 100 feet with the N. I get no better distance.

Regards

Reply to
steve

has more range.. says so on the box....Reminds me of the Fiber one commercial, has more fiber, it says so on the box (You mean I have to eat the box? :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

remember I talked about weasel words, note there is no comma in the sentence on the box, so reverse the phrases before and after the and..... Makes it up to 12X the speed *AND* 4X the range...

at any rate, there are no specs for n yet, and many manufacturers do things different, so the cards you had (but didn't specify whos/what, or you did and I forgot) may not have been working exactly as you would think with that router....

Heres's a little history and an analogy that may help you some..(not exactly technicaly exact, but hopefully understandable to most, at work I used to translate tech/geek speak into english) I used to have a wrt54g wap/router in the basement, brick walls outside, and some load bearing cement block walls inside, that the signal didn't get thru very well... after a lightning strike (power went out, clocks flashed 12, router was dead dead dead) I got a wrt300n at the best buy down the street, replaced the dead unit (54g) but saw no increase.... the brick and load bearing walls were still there, and blocked the signal from the new thing as effectively as the old.... I was told two things... 1) think mimo works sort of like a lighthouse, one bulb but the mirror spins around and focuses the thing in a moving circle, however, if there was a tree/mountain/building/wall/etc blocking the light from the non spinning light you won't see a spinning light any better..... and it can only go further if nothing is in the way.....

The other thing that seems to cause slowdowns on that unit, is n only, or n and b/g compatibilty.... since I have tivos/pda's/tablets/etc on the wireless network, that only work with b/g, I had to stay with compatibility instead of n only, so I never saw any speed benefits of speed......

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.