linksys wmp55ag difficulties

I have a Linksys wrt55ag wireless router, and two PCs with wmp55ag nics. One PC is running XP home SP2, one with Win 98SE. Lost connectivity with PC running Win98 after about 2 months, and after upgrading it to W2k SP4 and about 3 hours on the phone with linksys (normal troubleshooting type work - uninstall, reinstall, reseat nic, different slots, different channels, move closer to router), linksys went for a replacement on nic. I have re-installed nic, and have been able to connect and get to internet for about 3-4 minutes several times. After 3-4 minutes, I lose connectivity to router, and have to uninstall/reinstall nic software to get it back - only for connectivity to last for 3-4 minutes again.This router/nic combo allows for 802.11a and/or 802.11g - I get same exact results on either a or g. Linksys software always reports an excellent signal with access point (router), but can't see internet.

When I am unable to get to internet, ipconfig reports proper ip configuration: gateway = 192.168.1.1, dns seems to have proper entries for ISP, proper IP address from DHCP, etc. But I can't ping router or any other IP address. Always happens after a few minutes of working fine. Resetting router/cable modem makes no difference.

I have tried resetting RTS & fragmentation threshold, beacon interval per Linksys help suggestions, have disabled WEP The 'new' nic is an older model wmp55ag, and appears to be a remanufactured one. Since I have never lost or experienced any problem with connection on XP pc, I suspect the router is functioning perfectly normally, and since the PC worked for about 2 months before, I am inclined to think I may have another bad nic -but I have worked too long with PCs to rule anything out. I have e-mailed Linksys about this, and haven't heard anything back from them.

Interesting puzzle, but does anyone have any ideas?

-Thanks.

Reply to
jim.strunk
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.