Linksys WMP54GS and WRT54GS

Are you able to use the client configuration utility that came with your wmp54gs wireless adapter? the steps to be followed would be: a) power up the Linksys router b) associate with the router using the utility ( by using the site survey link and then connect) that came with the card and not with WinXP wireless c) read the manual of the router to see what its default IP address (on the LAN side) is. d) manually set an address in the same address range ( eg if router default is 192.168.0.1 then you can set your card's address as

192.168.0.100) e) fire up your favorite browser (once your network is up, after association) and then in the address box type in http://192.168.0.1 ( or whichever is the router's address) and then configure the router to suit your needs. All this is possible only if you get past step b) all the bes!!!
Reply to
outbackwifi
Loading thread data ...

I have a Linksys wrt54gs wireless router and a single computer with a Linksys wmp54gs wireless adapter. Nothing else yet. I am trying to set up a Windows XP network with a single computer for now.

The instructions for setting up the router say to connect it via ethernet to a computer. Unfortunately, my computer doesn't have an ethernet port (the wireless adapter was going to be my network connection). I had thought I would be able to connect to it via wireless connection to do the setup.

This doesn't seem to be working. My network icon in the tray shows a red X, and when I try to refresh network list, it says no wireless networks were found in range.

Should this work, or do I need to have a hard-wired ethernet connection to enable the wireless functionality first?

Thanks.

Gregg

Reply to
Gregg

The configuration utility on the wireless NIC disk is not installed on XP systems.

The software on the router disk wants an existing cable modem connection, which I don't yet have.

No such utility was installed after following the XP instructions that came with the card.

Thanks.

Gregg

Reply to
Gregg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.