Linksys WMP54G & WAG54G can't get through gateway

1. Can the PC ping the WMP54G router?
  2. The WAG54G should also have an IP address assigned to it by DHCP from the router. Can you ping it? The address has nothing to do with connectivity and is used only to configure the WAG54G.
  1. Check the default route on the PC and make sure it points to the IP address of the WMP54G router. Run: start -> run -> ipconfig
  2. Check your c:\windoze\hosts file and make sure that it's not populated with a bunch of junk like:
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    127.0.0.1 (etc) Some viruses add this to the hosts file to prevent you from accessing anti-virus web sites and downloading fixes.
  3. Check if your DNS servers are correct and working. If you manually setup the IP addresses in the router, double check that these are valid DNS servers. Also run: ipconfig /all | find /I "dns" to see if what the Win98 box thinks is the DNS server. It should point to the WMP54G router.
  4. Try disabling the wireless and plugging the Windoze box directly into the router using a CAT5 ethernet cable. If the symptoms persist, then there's something wrong with the Win98 PC. I suggest borrowing a known working machine, verifying that the router and ISP connection is functional, and then concentrating the troubleshooting the part of the puzzle that's broken.
  5. Disable any software firewalls on the Win98 PC while testing.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

AAAAAAARGH! Ignore some of my previous posting.

Your description of the two devices have the Linksys model numbers reversed. The WAG54G is the ADSL gateway. The WMP54G is the PCI client adapter in the Win98 machine. I should have looked them up before trusting your posting and my failing memory.

Except for checking the IP address of the client adapter, my suggested tests are still valid if you exchange the model numbers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi

Hope someone can help. I'm trying to configure the above units for a friend on a Win98 machine.

Everything seems to be set correctly on both the Linksys ADSL Gateway (WMP54G v2) and on the client PC using the WAG54G nic.

The PC can see the WMP54G and is assigned an IP address from it acting as a DHCP server. The WMP54G itself can see the ISP and get an IP address from their DHCP.

The WMP54G has a diagnostic utility that allows you to ping addresses from it on to the WAN side. This has been successful in pinging some IP addresses (hotmail, cnn, google) but not all.

However the PC cannot ping across the WMP54G or access any internet Web sites etc.

Any suggestions on what might be going on here / what next to try?

TIA

Red

Reply to
Red Bright

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.