Linksys wmp11 not recognized by windows xp

OK, got a new Dell machine and first things first, installed the wireless Linksys card in the machine. Booted up, and found new hardware (unknown ethernet adapter). Thought cool, went through the prompts to have windows xp recognize it (which the directions said it would do). To my surprise, xp didn't find the appropriate drivers for it.

Put the disk in, tried loading the driver in manually using device manager, and it doesn't find a suitable driver for it.

In device manager, it shows up still as an unknown ethernet adapter, how do I get xp to load the appropriate drivers for it?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. This is kinda frustrating. Had it working in an old 533 mhz machine using windows 98 (and the drivers from Linksys).

But they don't ship xp drivers because they say xp will auto-recognize it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JJ

Reply to
jamesmgiordano
Loading thread data ...

Q Thanks, actually the install notes that came with the card tell me that xp should automatically recognize it, but that wasn't working. I will try this out and hopefully have a better conclusion. Thanks for the quick reply, JJ

Reply to
jamesmgiordano

Well, Linksys has an XP driver for version 2.7 and earlier for the card. I would remove the adapter from Device Manager, shut down, remove the card, reboot and install the driver, then shut down again and install the card. Check the install notes for the driver, I think that Linksys wants the driver installed before XP sees the card the first time.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Did you install Windows XP SP2? My most recent WinXP install, I left the cards out until after SP2 was installed, and all Windows Updates were current. I plugged in an Orinoco, and never touched any Orinoco-supplied drivers. It's working fine. That was not true in the past on Windows XP. I needed the Orinoco drivers to make it happy. Then I plugged in a DLink DWL-122 mini-USB. WindowsXP recognized it by name, but asked for drivers. I pointed to a directory holding the WinXP drivers downloaded from DLink. It's working fine... also not true on earlier installations. The strange bit about the DLink is that once it was installed using the drivers from DLink, a Windows Update added a newer driver. That broke the DLink on an installation a couple of weeks ago, but this Dell C600 is working fine. Both were clean machine installations, formatting the disk during installation.

If your card showed up as an unknown card, there is a fundamental problem. Even without built in drivers, Windows XP recognized the name of the DLink.

Have you tried uninstalling the card from Device Manager, unplugging the card, rebooting, and then plugging in the card with WindowsXP running? If it still comes up as unknown, uninstall it from Device Manager and reboot. Then go through the Linksys installation before inserting the card.

What model Linksys card is this?

Reply to
dold

THanks a lot guys. It actually ended up being I had to remove the darn card, then add the drivers, then reinstall.

Everything is as it should be today. Thanks again for the great help!! JJ

Reply to
jamesmgiordano

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.