Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G Problem

I have a problem with the above and my one PC with a WUSB54G adaptor. It used to work, but has stopped working recently for no apparent reason.

I have upgraded the router firmware to IIRC v3.03, and can SEE the network, which says that the connection is good, but IE6 refuses to access websites. Access is possible via my Ethernet Card connected to my cable set-top box.

I use ZA Pro, and have made sure that I have added the DHCP and DNS server addresses to the trusted zone (and also tried the internet zone) to no avail. I have tried switching off ZA Pro to no avail.

I can access the router set-up via the wireless adaptor, have tried cloning the MAC address, tried switching off WPA security, both to no avail.

Does the fact that I cannot access any websites even by connecting the Ethernet cable to the router and the router to the set-top box imply that the problem is with the router ?

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm completely lost now and am not especially au fait with wireless routing anyway, so am generally just trying things I find in this group.

TIA

Reply to
ajg_xch
Loading thread data ...

Did the problem occur before or after you upgraded your router's firmware?

Reply to
lee

Before. One of the first things Linksys and the various forums said was to ensure that the firmware was up to date.

Reply to
ajg_xch

It seems like a DNS problem.

try to ping a domain (ping wanadoo.fr). You should receive 4 reply's.

If you receive the IP of wanadoo.fr, your DNS is working.

Reply to
Benbje

i tried to ping yahoo.com but received no reply at all.

So, what does this mean ?

Reply to
ajg_xch

Two LEDs come up, the power LED and the Internet LED. I tried powering everything down and up to no avail.

As indicated previously, configuring the router via wireless access is possible, so the connection there is fine. It's just internet access beyond that that fails (except via an ethernet cable).

I'll try the cmd stuff this evening when I get home.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Reply to
ajg_xch

That you've got a connectivity problem. Any other details on what's hooked up where, and what other troubleshooting you've done?

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Sorry, I missed the rest of this thread. When you connect the cable modem to the router, do LEDs on each of them come on to indicate that the connection between them is OK? The one on the WRT54g is labelled "Internet", while the one on your cable box is probably "Ethernet" or "PC" or "Data" or something like that.

Try powering everything down, and powering them up in sequence (cable modem, then router, then PC) waiting a minute between units for everything to come up and the lights to stop flashing.

Also, try "Ping 216.109.112.135", and give us the results of "ipconfig/all" in a DOS box.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

And what lights up on your cable(?) modem?

So you can talk to the router, but it doesn't seem to talk to your cable modem. That's either because of hardware problems (you indicated that this used to work just fine, yes?), MAC address problems (most cable systems only talk to one true MAC adress, though most of them will look for a new one if you power cycle the cable modem), or some other connectivity problems (cabling, etc).

What does the router's status page show for the Internet? IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS, MTU?

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

I connect via a cable set-top box. The model doesn't have any extra lights indicating BB internet access unfortunately.

The following is what I get from ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ajg_xch Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-79-88-E9 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100 194.168.8.100 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 May 2005 18:31:15 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 May 2005 18:31:15

Reply to
ajg_xch

Again, you may have a MAC address problem, but let's do this methodically:

OK, so you are getting an IP address from the router, and it's passing on the DNS servers to you, that's encouraging.

[As an aside, those two DNS servers map to cache{1,2}.ntli.net which is a little disconcerting, as you may not want to get DNS from a cache box, but that's a rathole. Who is your cable provider?]

What's the status page on the router show for a WAN IP address, netmask, default gateway, DNS server, etc?

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Apologies for the delay, but we're in different time zones, so it takes me a day to read any replies and then another day to post MY reply. I'll get back on this one tomorrow hopefully.

Reply to
ajg_xch

Apologies for the delay, but we're in different time zones, so it takes me a day to read any replies and then another day to post MY reply. I'll get back on this one tomorrow hopefully.

Reply to
ajg_xch

Soooo.... *you* are the one whose got all the time in the world, eh? That's why I can never find enough time!

It's the story of my life... I rush and work like Hell to get there first, but the greedy bastards always beat me to it.

Shucks.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

No problem, we've got all the time in the world. 8*)

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Cable provider is NTL WAN IP Address is 81.111.252.165 Mask is 255.255.255.0 Default gateway is 81.111.252.1 Static DNS Servers are 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 I've got DHCP enabled DDNS Service disabled MAC address cloned Can't remember if I've already said, but I've already tried updating the router firmware to v3.03.6

Today I have also tried lowering the RTS threshold as suggested by linksys.custhelp.com for someone with what appeared to be a similar problem (a good signal and the router status accessible via wireless, but unable to get online)

Reply to
ajg_xch

Looks like it ought to work. Try pinging:

192.168.1.100 192.168.1.1 81.111.252.165 81.111.252.1 194.168.4.100 194.168.8.100

Then try pinging:

router.compusmiths.com spc2-pool2-5-0-gw.cosh.broadband.ntl.com cache1.ntli.net cache2.ntli.net cnn.com

Then try:

tracert cnn.com

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Okay, I've tried them all now, with the following results...

The first three all replied

192.168.1.100 192.168.1.1 81.111.252.165

The next three all time out 81.111.252.1

194.168.4.100 194.168.8.100

The addresses all replied with "could not find host"

The tracert replied with "unable to resolve target system name"

I also tried the tracert on 81.111.252.165 to see if it worked at all, which it did. So I tried tracert on 81.111.252.1, which replied with

1 2ms 1ms 1ms 192.168.1.1 2 onwards request timed out

Hopefully, this all means something to you.

Reply to
ajg_xch

Well, right there we know we aren't talking to the gateway on your ISPs network, though it is assigning you an IP address. Very strange. You've either got some MAC address problems or your router is broken.

What do you get for an IP address and default gateway when you connect your computer directly to the cable modem? Can you ping the default gateway in this configuration?

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

IP Address via cable set-top box is 80.5.244.77 Default Gateway is 80.5.224.1

Both ping successfully.

Is there any way of definitely proving it's the router, without getting a replacement ?

Reply to
ajg_xch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.