Linksys wireless router lost configuration -

I had configured a linksys wireless router/access point about a month ago. The client was having some connectivity problems.

When I looked at it, it appears it was set back to the factory defaults. (ie paperclip reset).

Neither of the owners recall doing anything with the router. They do have a couple of young kids. .

Anyway, I haven't seen a spontaneous reset. I was wondering if anyone has seen this happen before where you can verify that the router reset to the factory defaults without someone doing it accidentally or intentionally.

I'm guessing that the configuration is stored in flash memory that would not be dependant on an internal battery. Does anyone know if the config info is dependant on an internal battery in the linksys routers?

Thanks

chris

Reply to
cgmsys
Loading thread data ...

Did you remember to save the changes on each page???

Reply to
gene martinez

In my experience the Linksys docs have never mentioned batteries in either a router and/or an access point.

Reply to
Pen

Yep, I've seen it infrequently in both Linksys and DLink hardware. Usually after a power outage. Infrequently means, at the most just a few times per year. If it happens again soon, exchange it.

This stuff sells for so cheap for a reason...

Yeah, its stored in flash. There are no batteries.

Have them save the configuration to a PC so they can re-flash it easily should it happen again...

Its fine to flash configurations over-the-air...

Reply to
Eric

Pen, How do you save the config to a PC? Don't remember seeing an option for that.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

It was Eric who suggested that.

Reply to
Pen

Anyway, on a Linksys it's under administration\\config Management

Reply to
Pen

Sorry for the misdirected question, but many thanks for answering it anyway.

Regards, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

On 1 Mar 2007 07:02:40 -0800, "cgmsys" wrote: : I had configured a linksys wireless router/access point about a month : ago. The client was having some connectivity problems. : : When I looked at it, it appears it was set back to the factory : defaults. (ie paperclip reset). : : Neither of the owners recall doing anything with the router. They do : have a couple of young kids. . : : Anyway, I haven't seen a spontaneous reset. I was wondering if anyone : has seen this happen before where you can verify that the router reset : to the factory defaults without someone doing it accidentally or : intentionally. : : I'm guessing that the configuration is stored in flash memory that : would not be dependant on an internal battery. Does anyone know if the : config info is dependant on an internal battery in the linksys : routers? : : Thanks : : chris

I've seen a firmware update cause a WAP54G to lose some (not all) of its configuration settings. The case was particularly annoying, because the loss of information made it impossible to manage the access point from a subnet other than its own. Fortunately, I had a way to reach the subnet the access points were on; but before I caught onto exactly what was happening, I had gone to the trouble of physically swapping some of them out.

And don't even get me started on the WAP54GP. The tendency of that piece of junk to lose configuration info is the *least* of its problems.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

"cgmsys" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

I've experienced several instances of inexplicable factory resets with Linksys WAG54- and WRT54- routers:

- Within a few days of installation.

- Only once per device.

- Different client each time.

- Relatively rare, fewer than one in 10 installs.

Never heard of there being a battery.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.