Linksys wireless router - BEFW11S4 ver 4 - unique email problem - help?

This is a new router with the latest firmware.

If I connect "wirelessly" from my ThinkPad --- I can:

- send an email

- receive an email

- surf the Internet

However:

I can NOT:

- REPLY to an email I receive - computer tries to send it --- but after a minute --- stops --- and email sits in the "outbox." Additional attempts to send it also fail --- with the same result.

- FORWARD an email I received - computer tries to send it --- but after a minute --- stops --- and email sits in the "outbox." Additional attempts to send it also fail --- with the same result.

If I take the router out of the circuit --- and connect directly (by wire) to the modem --- everything is fine --- I can send, receive, reply and forward.

This problem is repeatable --- every time. I just send a one word email to myself --- and am unable to reply to it --- or forward it --- when connected wirelessly. I am on Bell Sympatico - high speed.

It therefore appears that the "problem" is isolated to the router.

I have spoken with the support staff at Linksys --- (several calls --- total of 2-3 hours) and they have not been able to resolve the difficulty. They confirm I have the latest firmware, We even re-set default setting and re-installed --- twice --- no improvement.

If you have any suggestions (hopefully solutions!) I would appreciate receiving them.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
db
Loading thread data ...

On 11 Jul 2006 19:56:56 -0700, "db" wrote in :

Which email client are you using? Have you tried any other email clients?

Reply to
John Navas

I'm using Outlook --- in Office Professional 2003. The ThinkPad has wireless built in --- and the OS on it is XP-Pro

Reply to
db

"db" hath wroth:

This sounds exactly the same except it's a Mac. Sympatico again.

formatting link
A friend in Canada ruined my evening with almost the same problem. He couldn't reply to any of my emails. It turned out that it was the DNS servers at Sympatico returning random garbage. I'm not sure of the exact failure mechanism, but selecting different DNS servers in the computah fixed the problem. See:
formatting link
If that's not the fix, kindly supply some clue as to what you're using other than the BEFW11S4. Little details like:

1. The exact operating system?
  2. The email program? Have you tried other email programs?
  3. The exact error message when it can't send a reply?
  4. Any useful hints from the log files? Control Panel -> Admin Stuff -> Event Viewer
  5. DNS IP addresses used by Sympatico from the BEFW11S4 status page?

The first step to solving a problem is to blame someone or something. Yep, it's all very logical.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"db" hath wroth:

What error message does Outlook produce when it can't send? Please try not to paraphrase, abrev, or trunc the error message.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 11 Jul 2006 20:20:14 -0700, "db" wrote in :

To get a better handle on what's going on, get a log of the session when it fails and post it here. See "How to enable transport logging in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003" at .

Also, at least as a test, I suggest trying something other than Ouchlook; e.g., Mozilla Thunderbird. Ouchlook has a number of weird failure modes that might be involved.

Reply to
John Navas

Umm, that model hasn't been manufactured for years, it's about a decade old, IIRC.

Try changing MTU to 1492

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Thanks, folks for your suggestions. I do appreciate them.

When I mentrioned the router was "new" --- it was actually a replacement --- sent to me last week --- by Linksys --- concerning an unrelated problem in the original one I had been using --- successfully

--- for 7 moinths. The original router stopped broastcasting a wireless signal entirely last week. Linksys was very helpful in trouble shooting it --- and agreed to replace it. I received the replacemment very quickly --- and it is the replacement unit that I am having "challenges" with.

Since I am on Bell Sympatico high speed --- I contacted Bell --- and they sent me out one of their new modem/wireless router combined units. I installed it --- using the same ThinkPad --- and success! I am currently using it --- on my front veranda. I tested the email capability on this new Bell wireless router/modem unit --- and success. I can send, receive, reply and forward my emails --- all with no problems.

Since I am using the same ThinkPad --- with all the same software --- it would appear that it is a wireless router problem with the Linksys unit. Linksys has agreed to replace the "replacement" unit --- and we'll see what results.

Again, thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

David

Reply to
db

Ah, so you got a refurb, which apparently also had problems.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.