Linksys Wireless - G Router Install Problem

I recently purchased and installed a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GP2A-AT). It seems to work fine until I power the system down. The next time I boot the system, the install is nowhere to be seen and I am unable to connect to the internet or the network. If I reinstall the router, it works until I reboot, then it fails to show up again. I've never had this happen before. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Samantha

Reply to
srr113
Loading thread data ...

Hi, What OS? How is it configured? How do you reinstall the router? What do you mean?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The operating system is Windows XP Home Edition. I reinstall from the cd provided with the router and go through all the setup prompts. I'm able to use the Linksys router until I power down the computer; when I power up, the system does not recognize the router and won't let me log into the internet without going directly through the modem, bypassing the router.

Very frustrating; Hope you can help Thanks Samantha

Reply to
srr113

The install disk with teh router is pointless.

Simply plug modem > WAN port of router

and LAN port of router > LAN port of PC.

From all powered off, power on router & wait 30 seconds; power on modem & wait 30 seconds; power on PC.

You should be up and running. To test, go Start Menu > Run, then type 'cmd.exe'

In the window that pops up, type 'ping 192.168.1.1'. This will send some data to the router, and tell you whether the router is 'available' or not. If this works, open up a Web browser and go to http://192.168.1.1. log with no username but a password of 'admin'.

Using your manual, you should then change the SSID, router admin password.

If you're running WiFi, now's the time to unplug the CAT5 ethernet cable from your PC and enable the WiFi adaptor in the PC. (You'll first need to enter the SSID into the WiFinetwork adaptor in your PC's network connections part of the Control Panel. This should be in the router manual too.)

If this all works recable the router and PC and go back to 192.168.1.1 and enable WPA-PSK WiFi encryption.

Save settings etc and try WiFI again.

Reply to
__spc__

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.